C2550D4I (Avoton) won't post, managed to capture kernel panic

cen

Dabbler
Looks like I am joining the Intel Avoton death train because my NAS suddenly won't post. IPMI works but no matter what I tried in there it wouldn't post. The only way I could make it start and work for a few minutes is by heating up the passive CPU heatsink with a hair dryer (no joke). This way it actually boots up and keeps running for roughly 5 minutes and after that it just shuts down with only the fans spinning and mobo lights are still on. This way I managed to flash the latest BMC and BIOS but nothing really changed.

Then after N-th reboot I managed to capture the kernel panic from freenas boot process, see attachment.

The second screenshot is after I tried to disable 2 cores from BIOS.

I also tried disabling C-states with no luck. These were just shots in the dark, trying to keep it alive.

If anyone sees anything interesting from the screen captures to give any hope let me know.

Finally, anyone knows of a mini-ATX AMD board with IPMI? I don't want to give Intel any more money after this disaster but looks like nothing decent exists in this area. I'll probably just sacrifise the IPMI and get a desktop board in the end.. :/

Attachments

• fnas.png
    fnas.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 2cores.png
    2cores.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

Belphegor

Dabbler
For AMD mini-ITX, you can have a look at Supermicro M11SDV motherboards. However, I am not aware of any reports stating that these work well with FreeNAS.

You might also want to see if the manufacturer of your current board will replace it, assuming this is the infamous Intel bug.