SOLVED Unable to update Radarr directly

dnilgreb

Contributor
I did an update of my jails the other day. As a part of that, I ended up creating a brand new jail for Radarr, and pkg installing
radarr 4.2.4.6635_1 by michiel@vanbaak.eu.

Since then, under System / Updates, I have an update available to version 4.3.2.6857, and this message:
Unable to update Radarr directly, use 'pkg upgrade' or create a PR requesting an update of the port.

Does anyone know if it is by design, if it is something in my config thet I could change, or why else this happens?

In Settings / General under Updates, there is no Built in Updat Machanism available, only External and Script.
What can I do to enable built in updates? Or can I?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Since then, under System / Updates, I have an update available to version 4.3.2.6857, and this message:
Unable to update Radarr directly, use 'pkg upgrade' or create a PR requesting an update of the port.

Does anyone know if it is by design, if it is something in my config thet I could change, or why else this happens?
The latest version in pkg/ports right now is:
radarr-4.2.4.6635_1

(https://www.freshports.org/net-p2p/radarr/)

That means that the folks managing that port/pkg haven't yet done the work needed to allow you to pkg upgrade to the version mentioned in the message (I also see the same if that helps you to feel better about it).

When that update arrives, you can go into the jail console and run pkg upgrade

dnilgreb

Contributor
Of course, I get that, Once released in pkg, I can upgrade via pkg upgrade. But why do I have to? I am wondering why I can no longer upgrade using the built in update mechanism? Can I do anything to enable that?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so... you're in the same boat as everybody here...

FreeBSD isn't really a (properly) supported platform for the 'arr (Servarr) apps. (note the lack of even a mention of FreeBSD/pkg in this section: https://wiki.servarr.com/radarr/faq#How_do_I_update_Radarr.3F)

Some things can work well when you have a stable base install and all of the updates in a new version are only to the dotNet app.

Assuming your permissions are right (seems they at least were, since you are talking as if updates had worked for you from the GUI in the past), updates can happen as long as they are standard.

It can also be that the authors have closed a door for FreeBSD now that the pkg has been made more official, forcing us to now use the pkg system every time.

You will (together with the rest of us) need to accept that we're "poor cousins" in this scenario.

Maybe it will turn out fine, but we can't do much other than accept how it is if not.

sretalla