Unable to Update - Mountroot Prompt Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerranPhil

Dabbler
Hello,

Updating to anything past FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950 results in mountroot prompt. I've tried a number of suggestions in the pinned thread "Workaround/Semi-Fix for Mountroot Issues with 9.3!" without success. I've added the boot delay with a value of "50000" to Tunables and trying different USB ports including 2.0 ports to name a couple to no avail.

I am able to boot fine to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950 and earlier versions however I have been unable to update to anything beyond that. I've tried to update on a couple different occasions over the past couple of months most recently today with version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201604150515 with the same mountroot result.

Today I updated the TS140's BIOS thinking the following updates might remedy the situation. They did not.

Code:
<81A>
        -Fix the issue that some USB devices may not be recognized correctly during boot.       
        -Fix the issue that system may hang while trying to boot from some models of USB storages formatted as NTFS.

I'm at a loss at this point. If anyone has some additional suggestions that I might try to remedy the situation it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

My hardware:
  • ThinkServer TS140 Tower Server
  • Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B
  • 3 of SanDisk Ultra Fit™ CZ43 16GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s Read- SDCZ43-016G-G46
Thank you.
Phil

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hello,

Updating to anything past FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950 results in mountroot prompt. I've tried a number of suggestions in the pinned thread "Workaround/Semi-Fix for Mountroot Issues with 9.3!" without success. I've added the boot delay with a value of "50000" to Tunables and trying different USB ports including 2.0 ports to name a couple to no avail.

I am able to boot fine to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950 and earlier versions however I have been unable to update to anything beyond that. I've tried to update on a couple different occasions over the past couple of months most recently today with version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201604150515 with the same mountroot result.

Today I updated the TS140's BIOS thinking the following updates might remedy the situation. They did not.

Code:
<81A>
        -Fix the issue that some USB devices may not be recognized correctly during boot.      
        -Fix the issue that system may hang while trying to boot from some models of USB storages formatted as NTFS.

I'm at a loss at this point. If anyone has some additional suggestions that I might try to remedy the situation it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

My hardware:
  • ThinkServer TS140 Tower Server
  • Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B
  • 3 of SanDisk Ultra Fit™ CZ43 16GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s Read- SDCZ43-016G-G46
Thank you.
Phil
I'm sorry that what I described in that post didn't help.

Did you look at the SCSI_DELAY thing that was spoken of here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-mountroot-issues-with-9-3.26071/#post-165496 ?? you should be able to try that using the same technique...(the good old k.freebsd....whatever in the grub screen).

TerranPhil

Dabbler
I'm sorry that what I described in that post didn't help.

Did you look at the SCSI_DELAY thing that was spoken of here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-mountroot-issues-with-9-3.26071/#post-165496 ?? you should be able to try that using the same technique...(the good old k.freebsd....whatever in the grub screen).

Thank you for your feedback, DrKK! You have absolutely no reason to apologize! I learned a couple of new things about FreeNAS I did not know previously such as how to manually edit the boot load out and "Tunables".

I did try adding "kern.cam.scsi_delay" with a value of 50000 to "Tunables" however it did not help.

I'm beginning to suspect a hardware issue of some sort. During boot when I start to see the USB_ERR_TIMEOUT messages I remove the USB drive from the port and reinsert into another port... at this point the version I am trying to load (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201604150515) boots as expected.

What I do not understand is why I can load older versions without issue each and every time. Maybe the USB drive is corrupt where the new version is being written too?

Thanks,
Phil

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Maybe the USB drive is corrupt where the new version is being written too?
Well, unlikely. But you can certainly rule it out easy enough---try a new thumb drive.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should try a pure USB 2.0 Flash Drive to see if you can make it work first but I think the real fix will be to backup your configuration file of course, if you haven't already done that a few times, then install FreeBSD 9.10 to the new USB device (not an upgrade), and see if it boots fine. If that all works, maybe you could import your configuration file and have an updated system. I'm just curious if FreeNAS 9.10 works or not for you.

TerranPhil

Dabbler
Thank you for your suggestions DrKK and joeschmuck. Based on Bug #7435 it appears to be an issue with the SanDisk Ultra Fit noted above. I just ordered a new device Kingston Digital 16GB DTMicro USB 3.1/3.0 Type-A Metal Ultra-Compact Flash Drive (DTMC3/16GB) to replace the SanDisk. I'll post back if the issue continues with the new device but that doesn't appear likely based on what I've read.

Also note, I performed full diagnostics on the TS140 using Lenovo's Bootable Diagnostics ISO image and found no issues with the server hardware itself including USB.

Best regards,
Phil

joeschmuck

Old Man
At least you purchased an all metal flash drive so it will dissipate some of the heat. If your device fails in the future and you still want to use a USB 3.0 flash drive, buy one about 1.5" long and all metal housing. If you are looking for ultra compact so the device doesn't stick out of the case, then I suggest you install it inside the case and there are a few easy ways to do that.

TerranPhil

Dabbler
At least you purchased an all metal flash drive so it will dissipate some of the heat. If your device fails in the future and you still want to use a USB 3.0 flash drive, buy one about 1.5" long and all metal housing. If you are looking for ultra compact so the device doesn't stick out of the case, then I suggest you install it inside the case and there are a few easy ways to do that.

Yes, I need to figure out how to install the USB drive inside the case. I believe I checked and the TS140 does not come with an internal USB port. It's interesting you mention the heat as I just did a fresh install of 9.10 to a second SanDisk Ultra Fit and noticed they were quite hot when I removed one.

As mentioned above I did a fresh install of 9.10 to a second drive and it boots fine now. Once in the GUI uploaded backed up config and almost everything is running as expected. I'm unable to update my jails which I posted about here.

Schuby

Dabbler
I want to add that I have a TS140 (transplanted to a new case) and I use the same exact USB drives you have (2 instead of 3). I'm brand new with FreeNAS so I started on 9.10 and had no apparent issues. I don't know if that helps, but I just wanted to confirm that I haven't had any issues with those USB drives.

joeschmuck

Old Man
And what I use are parts from my older motherboards where you take a header and push it out the rear of the case, for example this is one. I just removed the bracket, clipped off one of the connections so I only had one USB port flopping around, installed the USB flash drive and then tie-wrapped it in a suitable place. Here is a link for something similar as an example but I do like the one @pirateghost listed providing it doesn't interfere with other headers on your motherboard.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DE30DK/?tag=ozlp-20

TerranPhil

Dabbler

Thanks, pirateghost. I ordered one.

I want to add that I have a TS140 (transplanted to a new case) and I use the same exact USB drives you have (2 instead of 3). I'm brand new with FreeNAS so I started on 9.10 and had no apparent issues. I don't know if that helps, but I just wanted to confirm that I haven't had any issues with those USB drives.

Hi Schuby. I had no apparent issue either for several months. Hopefully your drives don't give you any issue!

And what I use are parts from my older motherboards where you take a header and push it out the rear of the case, for example this is one. I just removed the bracket, clipped off one of the connections so I only had one USB port flopping around, installed the USB flash drive and then tie-wrapped it in a suitable place. Here is a link for something similar as an example but I do like the one @pirateghost listed providing it doesn't interfere with other headers on your motherboard.
http://www.amazon.com/VAlinks®-Adapter-MainBoard-Motherboard-Expander/dp/B016DE30DK

Great idea and I probably have half a dozen of those somewhere under the house that I never used from builds over the years. I took the easy route this time and just ordered the one suggested by pirateghost.

Schuby

Dabbler
Thanks, pirateghost. I ordered one.

Hi Schuby. I had no apparent issue either for several months. Hopefully your drives don't give you any issue!

Great idea and I probably have half a dozen of those somewhere under the house that I never used from builds over the years. I took the easy route this time and just ordered the one suggested by pirateghost.

Let me know how that header adapter works that pirateghost suggested. The TS140 motherboard had some funky USB headers on board last I checked.

TerranPhil

Dabbler
Let me know how that header adapter works that pirateghost suggested. The TS140 motherboard had some funky USB headers on board last I checked.

Adapter did not work. If the USB ports were mounted on the opposite side of the circuit board it would have fit the front USB 2.0 connector as I had hoped.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yea, I'd just use something like I had mentioned and then use a zip tie to secure it in the case somewhere. Too bad the other item didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.