Unable to sign certifications with TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4

hillimicha

Cadet
Hey all,

Currently using TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4, within the last few days my certs have expired and I have been unable to renew/sign them. They worked before; but now not so much. Previously, I have attempted to use the "Certificates" portion of TrueNAS Scale (under Credentials -> Certificates) and for a while that did work. However, with TrueCharts apps it seems I am no longer able to utilize those because I get an error message when attempting to use them. I have now since opted to try and use clusterissuer for my certificates/signing of my apps running on my TrueNAS system.

As it stands, I *can* access the services via my domain publicly; however now browsers complain that the cert is self-signed. I tried disabling the 'self-signed' option in cluster issuer; however it complained and wouldn't let me progress with it..

Any suggestions? Below are some screenshots of my config.

Last edited by a moderator:

hillimicha

Cadet
Screenshots attached here, had to have my previous batch deleted for information sake! API Key is not my own, just random keys I chucked in. Thanks for the save mods. =)

Attachments

• Apps.png
    Apps.png
    322.4 KB · Views: 109
  • clusterissuer.png
    clusterissuer.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 104
  • kavita.png
    kavita.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 104

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Did you attempt to do this with previous versions?
Perhaps roll back to 22.12.3 and verify its a new problem.

hillimicha

Cadet
Did you attempt to do this with previous versions?
Perhaps roll back to 22.12.3 and verify its a new problem.
Thanks for the reply. I've attempted to do the same on 22.12.3 as well. Issue occurs the same on that revision as well. I have also attempted to disable the 'self-signed' option in clusterissuer and the issue still persists with that option disabled.

hillimicha

Cadet
For reference, this is what my site currently returns for a certificate. I'm sure this is a simple misconfiguration issue somewhere; unfortunately i've followed multiple guides to the letter with the same results each time..

Common Name (CN)
<Not Part Of Certificate>
Organization (O)
Organizational Unit (OU)

Issued By​

Common Name (CN)
Organization (O)
Organizational Unit (OU)

Validity Period​

Issued On
Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 10:17:28 AM
Expires On
Monday, January 1, 2024 at 9:17:28 AM

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
For reference, this is what my site currently returns for a certificate. I'm sure this is a simple misconfiguration issue somewhere; unfortunately i've followed multiple guides to the letter with the same results each time..

Common Name (CN)
Organization (O)
Organizational Unit (OU)

Issued By​

Common Name (CN)
Organization (O)
Organizational Unit (OU)

Validity Period​

Issued On
Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 10:17:28 AM
Expires On
Monday, January 1, 2024 at 9:17:28 AM

I'm puzzled by "they worked before but not now...."... is it a change in software or a change in your process?

If you can write upo the full process for getting your cetificates, you can report a bug.... but we'd have more confidence its a bug if you could show an older piece of software worked... or someone else has the same issue.

hillimicha

Cadet
I'm puzzled by "they worked before but not now...."... is it a change in software or a change in your process?

If you can write upo the full process for getting your cetificates, you can report a bug.... but we'd have more confidence its a bug if you could show an older piece of software worked... or someone else has the same issue.

Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned in the initial post, the previous method I used was the Credentials -> Certificates portion of TrueNAS Scale to get my certificate and then I would use the "Use TrueNAS Scale Certificate (Deprecated)" portion of TrueCharts apps to make it work. This was the original setup that I did have working. However, once the certs expired, I tried to renew and I got errors about "entry #0 not a string" somewhere.. If I can replicate it again I'll pull it up.

However, since the TrueNAS Scale method of generating those certs was deprecated, I am wanting to move away from that.. So I'm opting to use clusterissuer since that appears to be the preferred method for generating a cert these days..

At this point.. I just want it to work.. I'm so many guides deep into trying to get this to work I'm kinda pulling my hair out.. I've verified on cloudflare that the certs ARE generated.. but for what ever reason I cannot get them to apply on my system..

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hmm...are there any references that clusterissuer works with SCALE?
It would be useful to share any docs that recommended this approach.
Have you tried any other certificate approaches?

Does TrueCharts have a recommendation for a new method that works with SCALE?

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's working fine for me with the exception of Ombi--for some reason (and I haven't as yet gotten in touch with them on their Discord to try to sort it out) it's presenting an expired cert and won't renew it. It obtains and renews certs for everything else without a problem.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It's working fine for me with the exception of Ombi--for some reason (and I haven't as yet gotten in touch with them on their Discord to try to sort it out) it's presenting an expired cert and won't renew it. It obtains and renews certs for everything else without a problem.
@hillimicha I'd suggest documenting you process relative to the Trucharts docs.... and identifying the specific apps and versions you are using.

Perhaps someone will see an issue.... you might want to change the title of the tread to include clusterissuer and TrueCharts