Unable to ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

typoknig

Dabbler
My router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1
My FreeNAS box has an IP address of 192.168.1.5

My problem is that I cannot ping google.com or ping 192.168.1.1 when I have a static IP address assigned. The OP of the question here had the same problem, unfortunately the solution mentioned in that question of adding a static route with the command nas# route add default 192.168.1.1 isn't working for me. Even though I cannot ping my router or any external sites I can still access my FreeNAS box fine from the web GUI and have already created my data sets and shares. The only addresses I can ping are those belonging to the other computers on my local network.

Another oddity is that when I attempt to configure FreeNAS using DHCP I am given an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and I am unable to access FreeNAS or it's file shares at all.

What am I missing?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It sounds like your server isn't getting a DHCP lease. I'd look at whatever device is acting as your DHCP server and see why it isn't. This sounds like more of a relationship issue between the DHCP server and your FreeNAS box and not an issue with FreeNAS itself.

Some home routers will not let devices use the internet that don't have a DHCP lease. I'm betting the static IP is set on your FreeNAS box and not setup as a permanent DHCP reservation on your DHCP server.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You are missing letting us know what version of FreeNAS you are running.

Forum Rule #3

3. When you start a new thread you MUST write a subject that accurately describes the content.

Including the following information in your thread will increase the chance you will get an answer:

1. FreeNAS version and platform (32 or 64 bit).
  2. General hardware information (CPU, RAM, Motherboard model, etc.).
  3. Specific hardware information (Network card chipset, Raid controller chipset, etc.).
  4. DMESG output or copy of specific error message.
  5. IFCONFIG output if you are asking about a NIC or networking problem.
  6. PCICONF -lv output if you are asking about MotherBoard and / or PCI card problems.
  7. Code snippets, logs, config files and quotes should be enclosed in the appropriate bbcode tags.
  8. To provide you with accurate answers we need this information and it will also help others to find your posts when they are searching for similar information.

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?1-Forum-Rules

BUT... Did you enter a DNS? And as for pining your router, some router block a good ping, most don't, you might fall into the blocking. You really need to provide the info listed above so someone can help.

typoknig

Dabbler
You are missing letting us know what version of FreeNAS you are running.

My bad, it is FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452)

Forum Rule #3

3. When you start a new thread you MUST write a subject that accurately describes the content.

Wow, no soup for me then?

Including the following information in your thread will increase the chance you will get an answer:

FreeNAS version and platform (32 or 64 bit).

General hardware information (CPU, RAM, Motherboard model, etc.).

Everything contained in this Newegg wishlist.

Specific hardware information (Network card chipset, Raid controller chipset, etc.).

See above.

DMESG output or copy of specific error message.

No errors unless you consider ping telling me there is 100

IFCONFIG output if you are asking about a NIC or networking problem.

[root@freenas ~]# ifconfig -a|more
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=4219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO>
ether 30:85:a9:a7:ce:97
inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
em1: flags=8c02<BROADCAST,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=4219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO>
ether 30:85:a9:a7:ce:98
media: Ethernet autoselect
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ether 02:e1:ad:6a:6d:00
id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200
root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
member: epair0a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>
ifmaxaddr 0 port 7 priority 128 path cost 2000
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>
ether 02:29:43:00:07:0a
media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)

PCICONF -lv output if you are asking about MotherBoard and / or PCI card problems.

I don't think this is what I'm asking about.

Code snippets, logs, config files and quotes should be enclosed in the appropriate bbcode tags.

I used bold, should get the point across.

To provide you with accurate answers we need this information and it will also help others to find your posts when they are searching for similar information.

Sorry for ruining your day, I'll make a mental note for next time :)

Some additional information, my router is a D-LINK DIR-825 and it is running the stock firmware. I have other machines on my network that have static IP addresses (i.e. never had a DHCP lease) and they connect to external addresses just fine. I have two of these routers though (one for backup, not currently connected to network), and the other one is running DD-WRT. I'm going to swap them out to see if that makes a difference.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
your server needs to have a GATEWAY and a NAMESERVER assigned to it
192.168.1.1 should work in both IPv4 Default Gateway and Nameserver 1, in the NETWORK SETTINGS/GLOBAL CONFIGURATION tab

typoknig

Dabbler
Must have been something with the stock firmware on my router, because when I switch to my backup router running DD-WRT everything worked fine. Thanks guys (Cyberjock) for giving me an idea of what was wrong.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm a fan of DD-WRT, been using it since 2002.

But I'm curious if you setup your Gateway and Nameserver or not. Using the router that didn't seem to work you could type at a ssh prompt 'netstat -rn' and see what the gateway value is. Is it what you think it should be? Since you use DD-WRT I will assume you are knowledgeable on routing and stuff.

Cheers

typoknig

Dabbler
But I'm curious if you setup your Gateway and Nameserver or not.

Yes on both accounts.

Using the router that didn't seem to work you could type at a ssh prompt 'netstat -rn' and see what the gateway value is. Is it what you think it should be?

Yes, it is what I expect (192.168.1.1) when using either router.

I'm not sure what the deal was. ATM I don't have time to investigate it further. I have experienced some issues with the stock firmware on that router (most of which relate to UPNP support, which is unrelated to this problem), so the stock firmware might have more issues than I originally thought. The only reason I was running the stock firmware anyways was to diagnosis some wireless issues. I wanted to make sure the stock firmware did the same thing as DD-WRT was doing so I could eliminate DD-WRT as the cause of my wireless issues, but that is a different subject :)

Status
Not open for further replies.