Unable to install on Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcx456

Cadet
Hi, I have a 2008 Mac Pro server onto which I want to install FreeNAS. I downloaded FreeNAS, burnt the ISO to a DVD.

I read that holding the C key when a Mac boots up boots into the optical disc, but holding C did nothing.

So I read online that I can go to System Preferences to select a default bootup disk, I did that and selected the FreeNAS disc. I booted up, I could hear the optical drive spinning and then it stopped and I get the apple logo, sounds of the hard drives doing something, and the following on the screen: http://youtu.be/83RcWzd_jsk

diedrichg

Wizard
FreeNAS lives on a USB thumb drive, SATA SSD or SATADOM. The ISO is "burnt" to one of these devices as a bootable drive and then your computer boots into it as set by your BIOS. It can't live on a DVD as FreeNAS system data must be saved to it.

Please check out the sticky posts in the Help and Support > New to FreeNAS forum and read through the official FreeNAS documentation.

Last edited:

rcx456

Cadet
Thanks, now I've read that as of version 9.3 FreeNAS must be installed using the installer. I've prepared a bootable USB and loaded it with the ISO and it boots correctly on my laptop. I used FAT32 as the filesystem.

Now I just can't find how to boot into the USB on the Mac Pro machine. I have never touched a MAC before, the internet says to hold the C key while powering on to boot into USB but that doesn't change anything. Could it be because I need to have an Apple keyboard plugged in? I'm using a generic USB keyboard.

adrianwi

Guru
My guess is that the internet says to hold down the "option" key when booting the Mac.

Apple-Keyboard-Option-Key.jpg

Not sure how you get this on a non-Apple keyboard.

rcx456

Cadet
Yup the option key gives more options than the C key. So maybe I need an Apple keyboard. I've asked on the Apple forum as well.

adrianwi

Guru

rcx456

Cadet
Thanks, Left-ALT worked fine and I could boot back into the HDD so at least the machine is back to how it was. But the bootable FreeNAS USB does not appear as a boot option. I'm told the Mac environment is different so I need to check if FreeNAS can even run on a Mac.

rogerh

Guru
Contrary to the suggestion above, if you can boot from the CD drive you should be able to boot into the FreeNAS installer ISO. Then it will be a matter of installing into the working boot medium which cannot be a CD, and this will not be very useful if you can't see the boot medium as a boot device. You could try to install to an SSD or HDD if there is a place in a Mac Pro to put one, but whether FreeNAS will actually run I have no idea.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks, Left-ALT worked fine and I could boot back into the HDD so at least the machine is back to how it was. But the bootable FreeNAS USB does not appear as a boot option. I'm told the Mac environment is different so I need to check if FreeNAS can even run on a Mac.

I have a 2007 macbook. EFI support for booting from USB on it is marginal. Your best bet may be to use another system to install FreeNAS on a satadom or other sata drive, then put in in the mac. Once you have done this, boot from an OSX CD and bless the correct SATA device / partition.

rcx456

Cadet
Ok so I've now got a bootable USB stick, it boots on my laptop but not my desktop and I need it to boot off my desktop. So all works well on laptop but on desktop I get "Grub loading. Welcome to GRUB. Error: Incompatible license. Entering rescure mode..."

danb35

Hall of Famer
You may or may not be able to get FreeNAS 9.3 to boot at all, but even if you did, is the system otherwise appropriate? Adequate RAM, ECC, CPU, etc.? I understand the appeal of repurposing old hardware, but 7 years is kind of old.

rcx456

Cadet
The system is reasonable, 64-bit, 4gb RAM. Is should explain thatt he "Incompatible license" error is on an uptodate laptop. It's been suggested to boot the installer on a modern laptop, install onto a disk, and move the disk to the Mac. Dunno if that will work.

danb35

Hall of Famer
For 9.3, 4 GB of RAM is not "reasonable"; it's half of the minimum requirement. It will likely boot and run, but there seems to be a significant risk of pool corruption and other problems with less than 8 GB of RAM.

Under normal circumstances (i.e., with typical, modern PC hardware), it's perfectly fine to run the installer on one machine, remove the disk/SSD/DOM/USB stick, move it to another machine, and boot from it. The Mac seems to do things differently wrt the boot process, though, so this may not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.