"Unable to gpt format" or "Failed to wipe adaX"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoboville

Dabbler
For version FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4), either of the errors in the title will appear when either trying to create a new ZFS volume or trying to wipe the volume in "View Disks". The cause was the HDD in question had residual GPT data on it from NTFS, where it had been previously installed in a Windows 2012 Server in a RAID1 array.

The solution to the problem was to remove the drive and "diskpart clean" the drive. Since I'm not familiar with BSD I didn't try out any command line options for BSD to wipe out partition information. It would be nice if HDDs could be wiped out from the GUI, even if they are protected.

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and indicate your build and that the Wipe button failed and with which errors. Post the issue number here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
THis is normal as far as I know. Many people have complained about issues like this, and they always have a partition table that exists. I consider this a protective feature as you do not want to wipe a drive with actual data on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.