Unable to get the speed on FreeNAS Storage, it's just capped on 191Mb/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Team,

I want to implement a fast backup solution of our organization where we can take backup of my Storage.

Our Storage is built on Windows Server 2012R2 using the “Storage spaces”

Hard Disk Samsung SSD 850 Pro-10 Nos.

Layout: Mirror, Provisioning-Thin, Allocated space-4.5TB

LAN Card: For data access using Intel 4 Ports 1Gbps and for Backup using the “Intel 10Gbps LAN card”.

In Free NAS we are also using the “Intel 10Gbps LAN card” which LAN port is directly connected to our Storage “Intel 10Gbps LAN Port” through Cat6 cable.

FreeNAS Configuration is as below:

Build-FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)

Platform-Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz

Memory-32632MB

System Time-Mon Dec 25 00:31:07 PST 2017

Load Average-3.92, 3.35, 2.

Used Hard Disk: WD 4 TB -2 Nos (Stripe), WD 6 TB (Stripe) - 1 Nos. Samsung 64 GB- 1 Nos (Cache L1ARC)

When I have created the Windows Storage (SMB) and copying the 400GB file to test the storage speed then getting only 191MB/s speed.

Can you please suggest why I am unable to get the speed on FreeNAS Storage?

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is this an introduction or a help request?

Moving to an appropriate thread location.

Hi,
can you please help on it, how to use SSD or NVME Drive for cache to get the higher data writing speed on FreeNAS's Window storage.

D

dlavigne

Do you have the same issue after upgrading to 11.1? What speed are you expecting to get?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think some added data is required to figure this out. Are you sure it's 191 Mbit/sec, not 191 MByte/sec? Things that affect data rates are the pool makeup, the pool capacity, how full the pool is, the interface of the hard drives, the the files being transferred, then LAN card, any network bottlenecks, the computer recieving the files, etc... Also I would recommend you remove the L2ARC. How exactlhy are you measuring the transfer rate as well? Do you have enough RAM? Do you have other plugins/jails running?

There are a lot of threads on the forums discussing how to troubleshoot throughput issues, the basics are all the same. Run a benchmark on the internal drive transfer rate, if it's good then connect a computer directly to your FreeNAS NIC and perform a data transfer using some benchmark software. If that fails then is the computer capable of those transfer rates? If the pool is slow then maybe you have too much data on it forcing it to slow down.

You can research this problem on your own and you will find some good threads out there, even specifically dealing with 10Gbe throughput.

I think some added data is required to figure this out. Are you sure it's 191 Mbit/sec, not 191 MByte/sec? Things that affect data rates are the pool makeup, the pool capacity, how full the pool is, the interface of the hard drives, the the files being transferred, then LAN card, any network bottlenecks, the computer recieving the files, etc... Also I would recommend you remove the L2ARC. How exactlhy are you measuring the transfer rate as well? Do you have enough RAM? Do you have other plugins/jails running?

There are a lot of threads on the forums discussing how to troubleshoot throughput issues, the basics are all the same. Run a benchmark on the internal drive transfer rate, if it's good then connect a computer directly to your FreeNAS NIC and perform a data transfer using some benchmark software. If that fails then is the computer capable of those transfer rates? If the pool is slow then maybe you have too much data on it forcing it to slow down.

You can research this problem on your own and you will find some good threads out there, even specifically dealing with 10Gbe throughput.

Thanks for your support!!!
Data transfer speed is : 189-191MB/s
RAM is enough as : 16 GB

Also I would recommend you remove the L2ARC- After removing the L2ARC speed is going to 160 MBps

I have already connected a computer (Windows Storage Server) directly to FreeNAS NIC (10Gbps)

Okay i am trying some more steps to troubleshoot it.

upload_2018-1-5_11-2-5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.