Unable to create multiuser share. Permission error

MrColo

Cadet
Hi everyone, I'm new here in the forum and in TrueNas world too.
I've installed successfully TrueNas into a proxmox vm and everything works great.
Now I'm trying to create a multiuser SMB share but when I try to connect it in windows explorer (for example tom account) it gives me a permission error.
I made two users: tom and joe. Then, I made a group called family where I added tom and joe as members.
Later I made a dataset too, its ACL and SMB share.
I think ACL is correct:
1612001959097.png
/SPOILER]

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

ChrisRJ

Wizard
ACLs are not exactly my forte, but I think you should adjust the ownership. That is basically what you see as user and group on the left side, right under "File Information". Chose one of the accounts as user and "family" for group, and give it a try.

If you want to entrust important data to this system, please go to the "Resources" section and make sure to read the articles about hosting TrueNAS as a VM. I don't want to repeat too much, but please be aware that "it works initially" is *NOT* proof that your system is reliable.

Edit: Here is what I meant:

Last edited:

MrColo

Cadet
ACLs are not exactly my forte, but I think you should adjust the ownership. That is basically what you see as user and group on the left side, right under "File Information". Chose one of the accounts as user and "family" for group, and give it a try.

If you want to entrust important data to this system, please go to the "Resources" section and make sure to read the articles about hosting TrueNAS as a VM. I don't want to repeat too much, but please be aware that "it works initially" is *NOT* proof that your system is reliable.

Edit: Here is what I meant:
Thanks for you reply. Now it seems working!
About VM I think it's everything ok. I passed to the VM directly the raid10 from perc6 card.
1612012966163.png

MrColo

Cadet
edit: I'm trying to do the same thing in the main truenas machine, but doesn't work. It gives me permission error again, oof. Any advice?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Thanks for you reply. Now it seems working!
About VM I think it's everything ok. I passed to the VM directly the raid10 from perc6 card.
That is exactly what I meant. You *think* that it is working, because so far no issues have come. The problem with such a setup is that it works, until it no longer works. You can be lucky and never see an issue. Or Murphy can hit you tomorrow. I understand that it is tempting to think of TrueNAS like any other VM guest. But it is not, because ZFS needs low-level/direct access to disks. If you search the forums, you will see that literally dozens of people went through this. So please, read the post linked above.

MrColo

Cadet
That is exactly what I meant. You *think* that it is working, because so far no issues have come. The problem with such a setup is that it works, until it no longer works. You can be lucky and never see an issue. Or Murphy can hit you tomorrow. I understand that it is tempting to think of TrueNAS like any other VM guest. But it is not, because ZFS needs low-level/direct access to disks. If you search the forums, you will see that literally dozens of people went through this. So please, read the post linked above.

OK, thanks. I had read the link you sent, but I didn't understand much. In short, it says that putting TrueNAS in a VM is not reliable, right? Could I have problems in the future if I put it in a VM? Sorry but I'm a newbie.
Thanks.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
It basically says that you can make it work reliably, but that this requires a really solid knowledge about the used virtualization technology and ZFS as well (we are probably talking about several full weeks of learning). I don't want to appear rude or patronizing, but my gut feeling is that you would run quite some risk and end up being unhappy about TrueNAS. If you are mainly interested in getting a stable solution with limited effort and want to entrust the safety of your data to the RAID controller (which is fine), using some non-ZFS NAS distribution might be a better option for you.

Hope that makes sense!

MrColo

Cadet
It basically says that you can make it work reliably, but that this requires a really solid knowledge about the used virtualization technology and ZFS as well (we are probably talking about several full weeks of learning). I don't want to appear rude or patronizing, but my gut feeling is that you would run quite some risk and end up being unhappy about TrueNAS. If you are mainly interested in getting a stable solution with limited effort and want to entrust the safety of your data to the RAID controller (which is fine), using some non-ZFS NAS distribution might be a better option for you.

Hope that makes sense!
Perfect now I understand thanks! I'm very interested in TrueNAS and I'd like to use zfs feature and remove HW RAID. I'm just trying to understand how TrueNAS works and which is the best configuration for my r710. I read somewhere on google that it's recommended to replace perc6 raid card with an H200 IT that allows using disks without a hwraid and setup zfs raid. Could be a good config a h200 it + proxmox + truenas vm?
Thanks