SOLVED Unable to change FreeNAS network hostname

Status
Not open for further replies.

plague

Dabbler
Greetings!

To start with, the following are my system specs:
  • Motherboard make and model: Apple Mac Pro (5,1)
  • CPU make and model: 6-Core: 3.33GHz Intel Xeon “Westmere” W3680 processor
  • RAM quantity: 32 GB of OWC DDR3 1333 MHz
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration: Five 4TB Western Digital Red drives in RaidZ2 configuration
  • SATA 2 controller

I am trying to change the "freenas" network hostname to "Alexandria" as follows:

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 10.43.13 AM.png

However, when I try to save my changes, I get the following error:

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 10.43.22 AM.png

The exception value is: 'str' object has no attribute 'exploded'.

Any insight on what could be going wrong? Do I have to fill out the remaining fields?

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Do I have to fill out the remaining fields?
Greetings, and welcome to the forums!

Please post your full system specifications, per the Forum rules. Doing so will better enable forum members to help you.

The form shouldn't blow up like this... you may have discovered a bug!

See the documentation for detailed help on filling in the information: Network Global Configuration.

plague

Dabbler
Greetings, and welcome to the forums!

Please post your full system specifications, per the Forum rules. Doing so will better enable forum members to help you.

The form shouldn't blow up like this... you may have discovered a bug!

See the documentation for detailed help on filling in the information: Network Global Configuration.

Thank you for the warm welcome Spearfoot! I have updated the post with the full system specs. After reading the Network Global Configuration document you linked to, it appears that the other fields are not required when changing the hostname.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thank you for the warm welcome Spearfoot! I have updated the post with the full system specs. After reading the Network Global Configuration document you linked to, it appears that the other fields are not required when changing the hostname.
You're very welcome!
You're running FreeNAS on an Apple Mac Pro? Interesting, and you may very well be one of less than a dozen such people on planet Earth!

Regarding the network settings... if you're using DHCP to obtain your FreeNAS server's IP address, then you do indeed leave most of these fields blank.

Were you able to change the setting? Or does the form still return the same error as before? If you're still seeing the error, I suspect it's because you're running on Apple hardware.

FWIW, FreeNAS is a server-class software package designed and intended for server-class hardware. Nevertheless it will, in most cases, install and run on just about any x86 system with adequate CPU and memory. Possibly your Apple Mac Pro is an exception?

plague

Dabbler
You're very welcome!
You're running FreeNAS on an Apple Mac Pro? Interesting, and you may very well be one of less than a dozen such people on planet Earth!

Regarding the network settings... if you're using DHCP to obtain your FreeNAS server's IP address, then you do indeed leave most of these fields blank.

Were you able to change the setting? Or does the form still return the same error as before? If you're still seeing the error, I suspect it's because you're running on Apple hardware.

FWIW, FreeNAS is a server-class software package designed and intended for server-class hardware. Nevertheless it will, in most cases, install and run on just about any x86 system with adequate CPU and memory. Possibly your Apple Mac Pro is an exception?

Haha, yes! I am indeed running FreeNAS on an old Mac Pro. It is equipped with a 64 bit server grade processor and 32 GB of ECC memory.

To answer your other question, I was using DHCP (default setting) to obtain my server's IP address. However, when I added a static IP, the setting successfully saved AND the hostname changed! Now when I try to remove the static IP address such that I can revert back to using DHCP, I get the same error as before.

Would you recommend filing a bug with the FreeNAS project?

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 7.17.31 PM.png

jlpellet

Patron
Two suggestions to try. 1st, try all lower case & a shorter name, e.g., "ast". 2nd, try changing with the "Edit" button on the System > Information tab (which should be the main login page. If either works, AFAIK, this is a bug but more info on scope would help.

plague

Dabbler
Two suggestions to try. 1st, try all lower case & a shorter name, e.g., "ast". 2nd, try changing with the "Edit" button on the System > Information tab (which should be the main login page. If either works, AFAIK, this is a bug but more info on scope would help.
Thanks for the suggestions jlpellet! I tried both. For the first one, I can set a shorter and all lowercase name (or any type of name) as my network name IFF the ipv4 default gateway address is specified. It will however break when I try to remove the ipv4 default gateway address.

For the second task, I can easily change the system hostname under System->Information without any issues.

plague

Dabbler
Greetings!

To start with, the following are my system specs:
  • Motherboard make and model: Apple Mac Pro (5,1)
  • CPU make and model: 6-Core: 3.33GHz Intel Xeon “Westmere” W3680 processor
  • RAM quantity: 32 GB of OWC DDR3 1333 MHz
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration: Five 4TB Western Digital Red drives in RaidZ2 configuration
  • SATA 2 controller

I am trying to change the "freenas" network hostname to "Alexandria" as follows:

View attachment 19543

However, when I try to save my changes, I get the following error:

View attachment 19544

The exception value is: 'str' object has no attribute 'exploded'.

Any insight on what could be going wrong? Do I have to fill out the remaining fields?

Fixed the problem by upgrading the OS to FreeNAS-11.0-U2 (e417d8aa5).

Status
Not open for further replies.