Unable to add Zvolume after data recovery from damage drive

virend

Cadet
Dear All,

In freenas, I was using 4TB drive (Pool name DATA).
i was using 1 virtual machine and zvolume (Cloud-8sff1g) created for the virtual machine.

Few days before due to server crash, HDD Pool got unknown. HDD drive was not accessible. So i send this drive for data recovery. after data recovery i got all pool data on external drive. including zvolume (Cloud-8sff1g) and all other sharing data.

Now i want to use this zvolume. already installed 4TB HDD and created pool (Backup).
imported the external 4TB disk to the same Pool(backup). After import no zvolume mounted into pool.

If i am creating new zvolume with the name (Cloud-8sff1g). then there is error msg (Path /mnt/DATA/Cloud-8sff1g already exists).

Kindly help me to sort this out. because zvolume have centos-7 and data on this. that's really urgent.

NugentS

MVP
Is this a single disk with no resiliency?
A disk that shat itself for some reason, which you have had recovered onto a new single HDD that you are mounting as a pool, on its own with (again) no resiliency?

virend

Cadet
Is this a single disk with no resiliency?
A disk that shat itself for some reason, which you have had recovered onto a new single HDD that you are mounting as a pool, on its own with (again) no resiliency?

Yes this is a single disk with no resiliency.
Drive I recovered, didn't get whole partition. but get Virtual machine files. Zvolume size was 500Gb. Recovered Zvolume file size is 250Gb.

A new drive added to the freenas and new pool created. New pool have no data or any zvolume.

Data recovered from old HDD and transferred to 4Tb external USB portable drive with NTFS filesystem.

I want to use (mount/import/attach) recovered zvolume file into new pool. so my existing virtual machine use this Zvolume.
Zvolume have data on it

How can i use this file.

Attachments

• pool.PNG
    pool.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 107
  • zvolume file.PNG
    zvolume file.PNG
    49.3 KB · Views: 107

NugentS

MVP
I honestly have no idea. A ZVOL is block storage - so you can't just copy it - you would have to snapshot it and then zfs send | zfs recv it into a new pool but you may not be able to snapshot it as its on an imported USB drive. Also given its half the size it should be does not fill me with confidence.