Unable to access WebGUI after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

villo

Dabbler
Hi,

I am unable to access the WebGUI after the latest update. Checking my router configuration, I can see that my FreeNAS server has an IP address of 192.168.0.192 however, when I type that into a browser I get a "refused to connect" error message as shown below:
freenas.PNG

I am still able to access my jails, such as Plex, and restarting did not solve the problem.

My configuration is as below:
FreeNAS 9.10.2
Hardware: HP N54L Microserver with 16GB RAM

Any advice is appreciated.

melloa

Wizard
How did you configured FreeNAS interface? DHCP/Static? Have you checked the server console to see what IP it has gotten - if DHCP? From your console can you go to the shell, do an ifconfig, and post here?

villo

Dabbler
Hi melloa, thanks for your suggestion - I know the IP address when I check router settings:

devices.PNG

I used to have it to set-up as a static IP on the router, but since I couldn't reach the old IP after the update, I changed the router settings a removed the static IP setting and rebooted the server.

I don't have a spare monitor available at the moment to go to the console unfortunately :(

villo

Dabbler
What's also strange is that I can't access the shared drive through Windows, yet, I can access the media through Plex...

melloa

Wizard
I changed the router settings a removed the static IP setting and rebooted the server.

In this case the IP could have changed, if the old one was taking by another device - very unlike on a home setup like ours.

I know the IP address when I check router settings:

That screen doesn't say the devices are on-line though.

I don't have a spare monitor available at the moment

Don't you have a monitor for your desktop, that you can use to look at the server console? It is strange you access your Plex running on your FreeNAS and can't get to the server itself. Short than plug the monitor, you can check your router for on-line devices and try one-by-one.

Also you said to have updated, but your 1st post has: FreeNAS 9.10.2

One last thing: Don't power off your FreeNAS turning the server off. You may lose data and/or corrupt your boot.

villo

Dabbler
In this case the IP could have changed, if the old one was taking by another device - very unlike on a home setup like ours.

Yes, although it stopped working before I made this change.

That screen doesn't say the devices are on-line though.

This particular screen only shows devices which are connected to the router (therefore online)

Don't you have a monitor for your desktop, that you can use to look at the server console? It is strange you access your Plex running on your FreeNAS and can't get to the server itself. Short than plug the monitor, you can check your router for on-line devices and try one-by-one.

I don't have a desktop, but will have to borrow a monitor from a friend if I'm not able to resolve this without it. I tried accessing one IP at a time with no luck.

Also you said to have updated, but your 1st post has: FreeNAS 9.10.2

I thought that was the latest version, but I could be mistaken.

One last thing: Don't power off your FreeNAS turning the server off. You may lose data and/or corrupt your boot.

I used the soft power-off, whereby I press the power button on the server, and it powers down within a minute or so, which I believe is the same as turning off via the GUI (I didn't use the hard power-off whereby you hold the power button for 5 seconds)

I think the best way to move forward (happy to hear your suggestions) would be to attempt an update through the console.

melloa

Wizard
I thought that was the latest version, but I could be mistaken.

Stupid me ... 9.10.2 it is the last build.

I think the best way to move forward (happy to hear your suggestions) would be to attempt an update through the console.

I'd get that monitor and take a pick on what's going on before reinstalling everything and, hopefully, you do save your configs.

ice673

Cadet
I have had the same issue updated to 9.10.2 and had to roll back to using boot version 9.10.1-U4 to make it work. WebGUI not active and SMB shares not accessible jails were working had nextcloud and plex running and able to access data only way I knew the system was running at all.

melloa

Wizard
That's interesting - how did you roll back without the GUI?

Selecting a different environment while booting your server would be one way to get it back and from the shell or gui set that as active, but again, you'd need a monitor (and a keyboard) :)

ice673

Cadet
I ended up using putty to connect to shutdown system. Then moved it to my service desk to roll the boot environment back while connected to it locally. Were system is placed I have no were to put monitor or keyboard so I powered down system knowing it was running partially as the jails were functioning ok just the WebGUI and the SMB shares stopped working will have to wait till next update to see if resolved. Thought about a remote KMV over Ethernet but at almost 300 not going to happen.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I ended up using putty to connect to shutdown system. Then moved it to my service desk to roll the boot environment back while connected to it locally. Were system is placed I have no were to put monitor or keyboard so I powered down system knowing it was running partially as the jails were functioning ok just the WebGUI and the SMB shares stopped working will have to wait till next update to see if resolved. Thought about a remote KMV over Ethernet but at almost 300 not going to happen.
Which is one reason so many of us recommend a proper server motherboard that has ipmi.

Amazing the push back we see on that aspect too.

villo

Dabbler
So if we break it down a little :) which of the options from the console (1-14) do I select to roll back to a previous boot environment?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
So if we break it down a little :) which of the options from the console (1-14) do I select to roll back to a previous boot environment?
Reboot.

On reboot you will see a grub menu that you can choose the option for boot environment

ice673

Cadet
As a plus the update to 9.10.2-U1 has fixed the issue I was having with the last update everything working as it should be

Status
Not open for further replies.