Unable to access replicated data

Status
Not open for further replies.

q_fleuren

Explorer
Hi there,

So, i am wanting to repurpose old server hardware for a offsite FreeNAS backup solution. In order for me to get the hang of the replication functions and limits I've installed FN11.1 in a VM. And so my journey started.

The now situation:
I am able to send snapshots over to my target system(VM) with an replication task and it is up to date. However I am having troubles with accessing this data in case of my source system having a failure..

When I take a look in the volume of my target I see a dataset that was created by the replication process. However this dataset has empty user and group owner boxes when checking permissions. Transfering ownership to any of the users on target system does not work and the boxes stay empty. Resulting in me not being able to access the data in this dataset.

What am I missing here? I cant seem to find anything about this subject so far. How can I access the data from this dataset on my target system?

Last edited by a moderator:

toolchain

Cadet
If I remember correctly, when it replicates files, it converts the destination location to read-only on the root of the directory that all the files are being replicated to

you have to unset that read-only attribute, then you will be able to access the data, change owners, etc...

Alecmascot

Guru
If I remember correctly, when it replicates files, it converts the destination location to read-only on the root of the directory that all the files are being replicated to

you have to unset that read-only attribute, then you will be able to access the data, change owners, etc...
zfs set readonly=off tank/dataset

q_fleuren

Explorer
zfs set readonly=off tank/dataset
Right seems logical, however I'm still not able to access the files even after changing readonly=off and reassigning the owner permissions on the target.
This on both the main dataset and the child datasets.

Status
Not open for further replies.