UFS Import Volume Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synaux

Cadet
Hi, I am having a severe issue.
I have setup a little nas box at work (FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x86 (10351)) on a fresh 16gb Corsair drive (yes, overkill, but the original drive developed some physical errors--originally running FreeNAS-8.0.2).

Anyways, I reinstalled the original FreeNAS-8.0.2 first.
I was unable to auto-import/import my original volume (2x 500gb Western Digitals – Mirrored Array).
The issue is duplicated after installing FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x86 (10351) as well.

The import command in the GUI gives me:
“The selected disks were not verified for this import rules” (yes, with the grammatical error). The auto-import shows a “workmirror [geom]” and refuses to import it with the same error.

Thanks to this issue, and the forums, I now know and tried the following:
< sysctl kern.disks > for disc info – ada0 and ada1
< camcontrol devlist >
< dmesg | more >

< gpart recover ada0 > spits back "invalid argument"
< gpart restore ada0 > appears to do nothing but give me a blank line

I tried mounting one of the drives...
< mount –uw/ >
<mk dir /mnt/temp >
< mount /dev/ada0/mnt/temp >
< cd mnt >, etc
^^the commands went through (I think those are exactly the same, but I didn’t really know what to do with afterward—tried to import again, but got the same issue error).

Running < gpart show > appears to show 3 MBR records (at this time, there is only one 500gb drive installed). And…to be honest, the entire screen confuses me. GPART_SHOW.jpg

The following post is interesting where the guy took out a few lines of code at the end of the post, but I have no idea how to do this…¿
http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...he-existing-ufs-filesystem&highlight=line+441

Finally, I am currently attempting to scan one of the disks with UFS Explorer (http://www.uf***plorer.com/download.php); however, it appears that it will take the entire day to finish (emphasis on scan—not actual recovery). I have attached a screen shot of UFS Explorer--not sure why it is showing a NTFS partition (that it cannot access, nor can Windows XP).
UFS_Explorer_Screen_Shot.jpg

This is very important for me, I have backups, but they are 1-2 months old (which amounts to a lot of work for me and my business).

Thank you in advance!
--Synaux

(p.s. I apologize if the answer is on the forums—I spent a solid 5-6 hours looking around).

Synaux

Cadet
Update, I tried several other things:
Some free UFS - Windows tools (but the UFS partition is apparently damaged).
Explored gpart more extensively, but could not generate a solution.
Had success with UFS Explorer 5.2 (earlier versions would freeze on scan). I could not find an "alternative" source of a non-trial UFS Explorer 5.xx :/

Either I didn't give enough information, the right people didn't read my post, or no one had a answer, so I was forced to spend money

Solution:
Bought UFS Explorer Standard 5.2 for Windows (approx. 50.00 USD--not terribly expensive).

Perhaps, this will help someone save potentially precious time, and just spend a few $$ to be operational after however long it takes to transfer the data (and UFS Explorer has a 100% money back guarantee).

--Synaux

Diogo

Cadet
Update, I tried several other things:
Some free UFS - Windows tools (but the UFS partition is apparently damaged).
Explored gpart more extensively, but could not generate a solution.
Had success with UFS Explorer 5.2 (earlier versions would freeze on scan). I could not find an "alternative" source of a non-trial UFS Explorer 5.xx :/

Either I didn't give enough information, the right people didn't read my post, or no one had a answer, so I was forced to spend money

Solution:
Bought UFS Explorer Standard 5.2 for Windows (approx. 50.00 USD--not terribly expensive).

Perhaps, this will help someone save potentially precious time, and just spend a few $$ to be operational after however long it takes to transfer the data (and UFS Explorer has a 100% money back guarantee).

--Synaux

Hi Synaux,

I have a problem:

Due to an unknown hardware error (pc) the pool was in degraded state.
If either one of the two drives were physically removed from nas, the remaining drive was able to deliver data, available trough cifs share. Since i couldn´t repair the degraded state, and i didn´t have another disk to try, i decided to remove one of the drives, place it on a windows machine, erase the partition (as if it was a new disk) and put it back in the nas, so that the system would automatically repair it. Instead, now none of the two drives work alone or together, and it changed the state to unknown.

I´m searching for a solution. Did the UFSExplorer managed to retrieve the data from you disk?

Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.