Volume / drive import problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjq

Dabbler
Dear all, I have the following problem:

OLD server = freenas 0.62 full installation;
2 HDD drives - NAS0 = 1 TB ( system disk, 3 partitions - system / swap / data ufs type )
- NAS1 = 2 TB ( 1 partition - data ufs type ;

today I've changed the machine and I was setting up a new freenas server using freenas 8, so:

New machine = freenas 8.0.3 / USB stick installation
On the storage menu i chose Import volume:
- name NAS1 - identified drive ada0p1 / 2TB / UFS filesystem - imported with no problem;
then, import volume again:
- name NAS0 - identified drive ada1p1 / 1TB / UFS filesystem - imported with no problem;

After that, issues were coming; when trying to change permissions for Volume 1 - /mnt/NAS1 , this was performed without any problem, but
- when trying to change permissions for Volume 2 - /mnt/NAS0 , Sorry, an error was occured;
I checked the Volumes status and:
Volume 1 - disk ada0p1 - used space 1,6 TB / free space 10 Gb / 95% full / seems to be OK, but
Volume 2 - disk ada1p1 - used space 36 TB / free space 700 Gb / which cannot be true, on the OLD system that drive was 99% full

I booted the system again, select option 9 - Shell, run command:
fsck_ufs -y /mnt/ada1p1 .....the filesystem was checked .....until I've got:
***** FILE SYSTEM MARKED CLEAN *****

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

After that, I boot up again, went to Volume, Import volume, import ada1p1 / 1 TB / UFS filesystem, but the new result was :
Volume 2 - disk ada1p1 - used space 757 KB / free space 900 Gb / which cannot be true !!!

After that I've mounted the same HDD on a linux OS and the disk is seen as:
sdb1 - root partition
sdb2 - data partition - all files are there but I'm unable to copy/execute them since the mounting in linux is read-only !!!
Interesting thing, the ls -l command after mounting the drive in linux gives for all files "user 1001 group wheel"

Q1: how can I import the second drive in freenas 8 ?
Q2: is there a way to manually import volume or mount the second drive - since on the interface is giving me this error ?
Q3: are there any other arguments to run fsck manually in order to solve my problem ?
PS: i've used fsck since when I tried to browse /mnt/NAS0 i received the error "Bad file descriptor"; also the only folders showed on the NAS0 mountpoint was lost+found; when browsing /mnt/NAS1 I had no problems and all files are there ....

Waiting for your kind support :)

jjq

Dabbler
Update

...is it only me or ???? a bad installation or what ?

I've created a set of home users . . . on the user setup I had to make assignment for a group;
I've created a group called homeusers ....and the default folder to me /mnt/homeusers; after restart the homeusers folder is no longer there;
I've used the ssh to login to server ...changed to root I manually created the homeuser folder under /mnt; after restart, homeuser folder is not there anymore ....why ?

I also tried to manually mount the second drive - basically the second partition of the second drive - since freenas 8 GUI is seeing obly the first partition - ada1p1; just like above, I've created the folder NAS0 under the /mnt - after reboot the folder is gone so it's impossible to mount something there . . .

jjq

Dabbler
Update2

I was not able to read the complete documentation but:
- is there any difference between freenas 0.68 and freenas 8 in terms of filesystem ? I mean I know that freenas 8 is using HDD only for data and no operation system as opposite to old versions but:
- when I boot new system freenas 8 from flash, the second HDD is saw on the /dev like ada1 and ada1p1
- when I boot old system freenas 0.68 from CD, the second HDD is saw on the /dev like ad4 and ad4s1, ad4s2, ad4s3 - meaning is seeing all partitions

jjq

Dabbler
no ideea ???

C'mon guys no one is able to give me some advice ?

jjq

Dabbler
Ok, everyone ....so no solution was working .....I had to remove all files from the drive which was UFS formatted under 0.68 installation;
After that, I went to the GUI interface selected Storage > Create Volume - selected the second drive, marked for formatting under UFS and after that I've started to copy files back to the freenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.