Ubuntu server's problem on VM FreeNAS 11.1: keymap and network not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmhw2024

Dabbler
Hi all, I'm desperate! I had the wonderful idea to virtualize an ubuntu server instance on my FreeNAS 11.1 machine.
Now I've already created the zvol and installed the os in it and I can easily boot, but I have two main problems:

Keymap:

Basically it seems to be a problem between bhyve and ubuntu server, 'cause if I start a gparted distro everything seem fine, but in ubuntu-server I have lots of chars moved from my actual layout! The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to be a layout problem since there is no "-" (dash) character and pressing altgr + hash (#) in an italian layout, it returns "3" (i'm attaching a image to better explain the keys pressed).

2ldip1d.png

Network:

In FreeNAS I can just select in the NIC device between "Virtio" and "Intel" and none of them works.
I also tried to boot from a live ubuntu cd with a graphic server and it couldn't connect.
It's important to specify that: My FreeNAS is connected to another PC through ethernet and this PC share to it the connection. If I ping from FreeNAS shell everything is ok.

I'm gonna post:
Code:
/etc/network/interfaces
ifconfig
of the vm
Immagine 3.png

And now the network configuration from FreeNAS:

Immagine 4.png
Immagine 5.png

Last edited by a moderator:

tmhw2024

Dabbler
UPDATE: Actually there are problems with the keymap on every os, it's just that they're different

tmhw2024

Dabbler
Yes, I landed on a similar thread before posting this (something like this https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-11-0-u2-vnc-keyboard-issue-using-bhyve.57131/) but I didn't find any more recent post than that, so I though that bug was solved!

Anyway I ended up configuring all the things I wanted in a jail, using the package manager in freebsd... it's just that I do know a lot better linux, and I wanted something more familiar to me to use and also a system where the three apps I need (plex, a p2p torrent client and a self hosted git service) are better supported. So I'm using plex, transmission and gogs. I'll leave this thread open for the network problem in order to migrate to a VM when it'll be ready

Status
Not open for further replies.