Ubiquitously available storage? (JBOD multinode multipath)

Wolfspyre

Cadet
the metal under truenas:

- 2x dell r720xd (12x3.5"sas)
- each server has a dual connector SAS3008 card for the jbod arrays

- 2x 24x2.5"jbod arrays
- each array has 2 controllers
- each controller has 2 ports.

The consumers:

- 5x proxmox nodes running a bunch of vms.
- NFSmounts on OSX Servers
- NFSMounts on linux hosts

lower priority consumers:
- smb/nfs mounts on OSX workstations

The goal:

I don't want my downstream storage consumers (proxmox(nfs? iscsi?) linux/osx( smb/nfs ) ) to require reconfiguration should one of the two storage hosts be offline (maint etc)

The workstations, I don't care so much about... ubiquitous availability would be nice. but not necessary...

I'd like to be able to insulate the servers from truenas maintenance events which offline one of the nodes..

I can think of a handful of POSSIBLE ways to robustify the accessibility of the jbod storage... but I figured it would be best to ask what the recommended/envisioned path to durability is here, and go from there.

TIA!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
This is similar to the "high Availability" function that is provided in TrueNAS Enterprise
For TrueNAS enterprise, an appliance with two controllers is used... not two independent servers.
The difficult part is to reliably ensure that only one of the servers is accessing the pool/drives at any time..

sretalla