Two networks for FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplitz

Dabbler
Hi guys! Is it possible for my FreeNAS machine to connect to my local network 10.0.0.1( Freenas to Switch ), while it is also connected to my Macbook Pro via Crossover Cable? or Does it handle only 1 network at a time? It will make backing up to my Macbook Pro much faster.

Also when connected to my Macbook Pro can my Macbook Pro still use my wifi connection?

Cheers!
-Vincent :)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Get a switch.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You really need a fundamental grasp of networking basics before setting up Network-Attached Storage...

Arwen

MVP
Yes, it's possible.

We have people here in the forums who use dedicated connections, (crossed Ethernet cables, or
dedicated fiber cables), from their FreeNAS to a client. (Note that the client can be a server,
workstation or even a laptop.)

However, using multiple connections can lead to odd behaviour unless you have set it up with
the correct parameters. Thus, @Ericloewe comment about network basics.

Last, Ethernet switches, (unless they are 100Mbps or have other limits), should not cause any
noticable slow down. Thus, @Jailer comment about getting a switch, (like if you are out of
ports on your existing switch).

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
If you attach FreeNAS to the whole network, so switch and router w/ wireless access, you can use the MacBook with two options.
  • Attach the MacBook to the switch with normal ethernet
  • Connect to the wireless access point/router with the MacBook and you can access FreeNAS that way (Wireless will be substantially slower, but work depending on connection speeds)
Even with vast networking experiences I've had trouble granting access to separate LAN's with FreeNAS and you never want to risk your data by asking the software to do something it wasn't designed specifically for. Remember, in this realm, a lot of things will do what you ask it to do without letting you know it's a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.