afp_alarm problem with OSX 10.8.4 thunderbolt ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennison

Cadet
I've been having a problem that I think is similar but I haven't yet been able to get a clear answer. I built a NAS using freeNas and I'm using it on a network with a new Macbook pro retina 13inch and a old macbook pro 2009 edition. The macbook pro retina has a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor.

I can connect flawlessly with my macbook pro 2009 to my nas and I can also connect with my macbook pro retina 13inch, HOWEVER the macbook pro retina connection (AFP) is not stable and my logs for the freenas says:

afpd[4848]: afp_alarm: child timed out, entering disconnected state
and
afpd[4848]: read: Operation time out
afpd[4848]: dsi_stream_read: len:-1, Operation times out
afpd[4848]: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF
afpd[4848]: afp_alarm: ronnect timer expired, goodbye

The transfer doesn't stop completely it only pauses for a long while before starting again, then pausing again, etc... each time with another set of "afp_alarm" in my logs. This doesn't happen with my 2009 Macbook which works great, so I am tempted to believe it's something about either the thunderbolt ethernet cable, or OSX 10.8. Interestingly- when I connect my Macbook Pro retina via wifi of course the transfer speeds are horrible, but I don't get the afp_alarm. I'm tempted to think this is an OSX bug of some sort and might be related to people's problems streaming.

My setup:

Macbook 2009 OSX 10.7.4
Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch (2-3 months old) running 10.8.4
Connected to 1000gbs switch
FreeNas 8.3.1 Release

Both Computers are connected to the *switch*, the switch is connected to my ADSL+ Router.

I purchased the switch thinking it might solve this problem as it existed prior to using a switch. The problem is the same when the Macbook pro Retina with Thunderbolt Ethernet is directly connected to the NAS just as the problem does not exist when the Macbook 2009 is directly connected. I have swapped ethernet cables as.

I can read from the NAS seemingly fine from the Macbook Pro retina, however my real need is to write, and it's not possible.

EDIT: More info:

EDIT: I also tried the same equipment on a nas4free setup- same situation. The old mac works fine, the new- no. I am not even trying to do time machine.

My freenas has 5 3tb drives, ZFS 2 setup. Core i3 Processor, 16gb of ram.
Any ideas?

dennison

Cadet
So I have built a second Freenas system with spare parts and I'm testing it. I still get the afp_alarm problem but I noticed there seems to be a correlation between sending a folder full of lots of files and the afp_alarm problem, versus sending one file, even if it's large. I transfered a 4gig file .iso no problem but when transfering a much larger folder of many more files inside, I'm stuck again with the afp-alarm at the 2.55 gig mark. Any ideas?

dennison

Cadet
No one has any idea or even suggestion about this? I've had no luck so far myself.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Too few Apple users out there. I kind of touched on this here.

dennison

Cadet
Yeah. I've given up and bought a Drobo (with thunderbolt to avoid any other network problems). So close, yet so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.