New to NAS and could use some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesbrougha

Cadet
Hey all, just built my first hackintosh and now am in need of a major storage solution (and as soon as possible). Found this fourm and am pumped about it.

My main workstation is a Macbook Pro Retina. I edit video through thunderbolt/esata sonnet pro adaptor and 6gb/s expresscard. I am getting solid speeds of around 200 mb/s so because I like to stay mobile and going to continue to edit using this solution. BUT I need a storage solution and here are my issues:

1. MPRr only had two thunderbolt ports and they are both being used (esata adaptor and dell U2711)
--transfer speeds to the NAS are going to be extremely slow until I get a thunderbolt hub so that I can get the ethernet adaptor
2. I am new to building servers and am a little lost. I would like to run all my media (via plex) from this server, use it as a backup solution, as well as use it to encode/transcode video from Final Cut 7/X and Adobe (not sure if that is possible...I currently use my hackintosh to do the heavy transcoding and uploading so that my workstation remains free)
3. I have read some recommended builds but the ones that are spelled out seem a little dated. Going to continue to look around but if anyone has a build that they are super pumped about it would be great if they could send me the components.

Great to be here, looking forward to getting this going

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's a section of the forum dedicated to people discussing their build, parts list, etc.

bollar

Patron
Just a couple of thoughts:

- First off, there is no Plex for FreeNAS (or FreeBSD), so you won't be able to run Plex on this server unless you create some sort of virtualiztion -- this is documented, but IMO, this increases the complexity of the build. I currently store media files on the NAS and run Plex on a Mac. Would love to have Plex on the NAS, though.
- Using iSATA, you can probably get 70+ Mbps to the server -- faster than Firewire, but not as fast as Thunderbolt -- probably fast enough for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.