OSX Time Machine backup share working, backup is created, but backup cant be found in Time Machine

dnblover91

Cadet
Hello,

i got an old Macbook Air and a new Macbook Pro. I'm using FreeNAS 9.10.2-U1.

I used to backup my MBA with Time Machine. Didnt look into it the last months. Yesterday, i wanted to show my old Backups, none found in Time machine (but in finder the backup file showed up!).
So i created a new Backup and voila, suddenly even my old backups until June 2017 are available on the MBA!

Now i wanted to use that backup on the new MBP. Same issue, no backup is found in Time Machine.
So I tried to make a new Backup on the MBP. Everything worked fine, but today, Time Machine isnt even showing the MBP backup from yesterday. But in finder, i can see the MBP backup and even the MBA backup.

Whats the issue that my MBA cant find its old backups, but after creating a new one they suddenly show up? And more important, how do I get the MBP to find the MBA backup?

If you need more infos, let me know.

Thanks

dnblover91

Cadet
Hello,

unfortunately, no.

What I figured out is, that even when storing the backup to an external HD, the new MBP won't recognize my MBA Backup either. But the backup is visible via finder. So I dont think, freenas is the problem. But any tips on this issue are welcome.

Why my MBA shows my old backups only after I create a new backup via freenas is still a mystery to me.

My MBA is on OSX Sierra and my new MBP is on High Sierra, does that matter? If so, shame on me!

edit:
looks like restoring a Sierra backup to High Sierra shouldnt be a problem
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8124447

Last edited:

dnblover91

Cadet
Sorry for bumping, but i'm getting that error like once a year and i found a useful tutorial which worked:

It's in german, but its not to hard to figure out what he is doing.

Works flawlessly. No need to create new Backups anymore.

Thread can be closed.