Time Machine - new backup periodically

Tim1962

Patron
I reckon about once a month I get this message on my MBP..

"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “xxx”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you."

I then restart the TM backup and away it chugs again for another month or two. I can see it reported outside of FreeNAS but wondered if anyones found a solution here as google hasn't identified a general solution...

Nick2253

Wizard
This isn't really a direct solution for your problem, but one of my clients has a primarily macOS environment, and these problems with Time Machine backup to our network share (a Sierra macOS Server) caused us to explore a different backup solution. The option we decided to go with was URBackup: free, easy to run and setup, and it gives us a lot more control over backups than we ever got with TM.

The other advantage with URBackup is that we were able to get file-level backup with the Windows VMs that we run on all the Mac Clients, and easily exclude the massive VM drive files from the Mac backup.

Tim1962

Patron
thanks
For reasons of paranoia and currently available surplus backup space on the FreeNAS, I have URbackup running too. I like it very much and works on Macs and Windows

Tim

guglez

Explorer
The other advantage with URBackup is that we were able to get file-level backup with the Windows VMs that we run on all the Mac Clients, and easily exclude the massive VM drive files from the Mac backup.
URBackup dropped support for MacOS. What are you using right now?