Moving Time Machine backups from local disk to FreeNAS Time Capsule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferg22

Cadet
I have a problem trying to copy many years worth of Time Machine backups from the local hard disk across to the new FreeNas based time capsule. Copying fails with "The volume has the wrong case sensitivity for a backup".

Using Time Machine from two different macs (OS 10.11 "El-Capitan" and 10.6 "Snow Leopard") to create a sparse bundle on my FreeNas time machine partition I see that in both cases the format of the sparse bundle as reported by the finder is "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)". However the format of Time Machine backups created on a locally attached G-Tech raid hard disk is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

How do I fix this? And what exactly is the problem?

Thanks in advance fergus

Stux

MVP
You pretty much can’t. Time Machine backups are in a format that can’t really be copied.

I’m very concerned that you care about the years of backups.

You see TM is liable to declare your backups void and erase the lot any time it feels like it.

Would that be a problem for you?

If so, you might need some actual backups.

Now, what you could do is mount the TM backup volume, then inside there are the snapshots.

If you used carbon copy cloner to copy the snapshots to a FreeNAS disk, took a ZFS snapshot, then copied the next snapshotbover the top, you’d more or less have the same structure, but in ZFS. Which won’t just spontaneously decide your backups are corrupt and overwrite then.

Status
Not open for further replies.