Time Machine Backup - Compatability Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
I was in the process of setting up a Mac to backup using Time Machine to a FreeNAS 11.1 NAS. I came across an article that indicates that this is not be supported. It goes on the say that even though the backup may appear to work, the recovery from the backup likely will not. Since the ability to recover is critical I thought I would ask the forum if others know if a FreeNAS is or is not compatible and reliable from a backup AND recovery perceptive.

Reference:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7851126

Question:
Is there a Network Attached Storage (NAS) Drive other than an Apple Time Capsule that I can use to back up and restore Time Machine backups? I do not need a base station or additional repeaters for my wi-fi network.

Answer:
Only the following options are formally supported by Apple:

- External hard drive connected to a USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt port on your Mac

- Time Capsule or macOS Server on your network

- External hard drive connected to the USB port of an AirPort Extreme base station on your network

There are NAS brands like Synology and Q-NAP who supports Time Machine functionality but its formally not supported by Apple and using them is on your own risk.

Nick2253

Wizard
There are users on this forum that use FreeNAS for TM backup, however there are some settings you need to configure the prevent TM from eating all the space. Also, I would recommend testing all backup systems anyway, including the officially supported ones. You never know if some setting or config will prevent restore from working.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Good point. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.