Yet another noob "can't access" thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHN

Dabbler
Hi -- not sure where to place this thread, so I'll start here. Mods, feel free to move it.

New FreeNAS 11 install on a new-to-me retired Dell R710. I'm playing around with a test config, while waiting for an IT mode disk controller to arrive so I can install six 4TB WD Red drives for a "production" FreeNAS installation. The R710 currently has 64GB of memory, and two 500GB spinners that came with the machine.

The problem: I can access/write to an AppleShare from an Apple laptop, but I can't get a WinShare in the same volume to show in a Win 10 machine.

Both machines can access the FreeNAS web interface (as well as the integrated iDRAC6 remote access device (soon to be upgraded to iDRAC6 Enterprise)).

The MacBook Pro accesses the FreeNAS server through a wifi router, ethernet from the router to an unmanaged switch, and ethernet to the FreeNAS server. The Win 10 machine is connected via ethernet cable to the unmanaged switch. Given that the MacBook Pro is seeing the FreeNAS server at the other end of an ethernet cable from the unmanaged switch, and the Win 10 machine can access the network printer via the unmanaged switch, it does not appear to be a network hardware issue.

I'm happy to provide any details you want -- I'm just not sure what you needed to get started with helping.

Thanks!

Redcoat

MVP
but I can't get a WinShare in the same volume to show in a Win 10 machine.

Can you get to the WinShare by \\servername\sharename in File Explorer? Recent changes in security for SMB in Win10 have given rise to the visibility issue. Lots of threads here on the topic.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
but I can't get a WinShare in the same volume to show in a Win 10 machine.
Have you tried connecting via the IP address and sharename? You won't get it to show in your Network places in Windows 10, you'll have to access it directly.

MHN

Dabbler
Thank you for the responses, folks. I've made a small bit of progress by correcting a network port mistake on my part. I can now see the FreeNAS machine in File Explorer in the list of network connections (other computers, network-attached printer) under Network, but I cannot access the Windows share yet.

When I double-click the FreeNAS icon in the list under Network, I get a network folder icon titled "homes" -- but I have nothing like that on the FreeNAS server (the actual structure on the server is mnt/Test1/WinShare). I have no idea where "homes" came from.

Typing the server's IP address (the address which serves the FreeNAS web interface) and the path to WinShare does not give me access. Same for \\servername\sharename.

MHN

Dabbler
Sorry for the delay in getting back here. I've decided to wipe out my test installation and start "fresh" this weekend. I'll post how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.