SOLVED TrueNAS's network crashes when huge the transfer traffic or the ZFS cache get top

jimbo.tang

Cadet
I made a share folder with SMB, It is very frequency to crash the network. If found the log in /var/log/massages, that is the 're0: watchdog timeout '. My NIC is not Intel, I see many messages on the forums, My NIC Realtek RTL8111GR was not working well under FreeBSD. When the issue happened on writing and reading as same time and the ZFS cache got top, the Free memory was very pool. I am not sued what reason case this problem. Can anyone give me some advice?

I tried many ways as follows,

1, upgraded the NIC driver by
Code:
# ssh into freenas using its hostname or IP address
~$ ssh root@freenas
or
~$ ssh root@192.168.0.10 (where 192.168.0.10 is freenas' box IP address)

# download the compiled driver
~$ fetch --no-verify-peer -o /tmp https://unlockforus.com/freenas/if_re.ko.zip

# browse to tmp directory
~$ cd /tmp

# unzip download
~$ unzip if_re.ko.zip

# move extracted file to /boot/kernel/ directory
~$ mv if_re.ko /boot/kernel/

# set permissions
~$ chmod 555 /boot/kernel/if_re.ko

2, add tunable and update config
/boot/loader.conf
hw.re.msi_disable=1
hw.re.msix_disable=1

/etc/rc.conf
powerd_enable="NO"

/etc/sysctl.conf
net.inet.tcp.tso=0

Last edited:

c77dk

Patron
Only advice: ditch the RTL NIC and get an Intel - re have been utter cr** in all my years using *BSD based systems.

jimbo.tang

Cadet
Only advice: ditch the RTL NIC and get an Intel - re have been utter cr** in all my years using *BSD based systems.
I heard many like you said, thanks your advice, but I'm using the Motherboard ASRock J3455, there's not more PCI for a new Intel NIC, cause the only one PICE which is used for expending stata disks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I heard many like you said, thanks your advice, but I'm using the Motherboard ASRock J3455, there's not more PCI for a new Intel NIC, cause the only one PICE which is used for expending stata disks

It isn't clear what you want us to do.

There is no magic button to be pushed that will suddenly make poor hardware work better with FreeNAS.

If you bought a board that isn't highly compatible with FreeNAS, having only a single PCIe, insufficient SATA, and a crappy ethernet chipset, you have painted yourself into a corner.

Sell the board and get a better one.

jimbo.tang

Cadet
It isn't clear what you want us to do.

There is no magic button to be pushed that will suddenly make poor hardware work better with FreeNAS.

If you bought a board that isn't highly compatible with FreeNAS, having only a single PCIe, insufficient SATA, and a crappy ethernet chipset, you have painted yourself into a corner.

Sell the board and get a better one.

Thanks for your message, I think you may know what I want :) If our discussion goes to a solution, it will become magic. It's hard but I wonder to try.

jimbo.tang

Cadet
Seems I resolved the problem when I upgrade the NIC driver to 1.96, test it till now, it works well