TrueNas system really slow when doing certain operations over the network

maxall4

Cadet
Hi, I'm a first-time TrueNas user and I'm trying to get my new TrueNas server to work at a reasonable speed I have my hardware specs below. My main issue is that certain operations are really slow such as running this command "git clone https://github.com/maxall41/SetupMyMac.git" on my TrueNas installation (while inside of the mounted volume on my MacBook) the "Updating files" section is unbelievably slow less than a percent of progress per second but if I ssh into my TrueNas server and do the same operation inside of the pool it takes less than 3 seconds where on my Macbook it takes about 5 minutes. One of the reasons this is really weird is because I'm not using a sketchy NIC or anything I'm using a pretty standard intel 82599EN based NIC and I have my MacBook wired to it through a Microtik 10GB switch (sure my Macbook does not have a 10GB NIC but it should still be faster than this) Does anybody know why this is happening?

Info about my pool:

I am using one of my 870 QVO 3's for my boot drive and the other one for storing data (I know this is not recommended but the data I'm storing is not especially important so its fine if I lose it)

Full hardware specs:
HYVE ZEUS base server
2 Samsung 870 QVO 3 SSDs
H!Fiber 10Gb NIC with Intel 82599EN chipset
2x XEON QUAD CORE E5-2609 2.4GHz
16GB Kingston RAM

artlessknave

Wizard
it seems like the specs of the macbook matter here. if its particularly old or low powered....
"macbook" is a pretty large range of hardware.

this NAS would outperform even some of the newest macbooks. it certainly should give mine a run for its money (less ram though, but this operation shouldnt take a ton).

I have no idea what this thing you are cloning does though, or how IO or process intensive it is.

maxall4

Cadet
I'm using a brand new MacBook with an M1 Max chip and 32GB of ram. This slowdown also occurs when deleting files it can take 30 seconds or more to delete a few files each only about 2 - 3 kilobytes on my MacBook but be instant via ssh.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Seems to me that project is a large structure of many directories and tiny files... lots of IOPS.

If you're using sync writes... and I guess you are... you'll certainly be adding tens or even hundreds of milliseconds per operation, which add up over the numbers to many seconds.

if you set the dataset you're using to have sync disabled, does it go faster? (zfs set sync=disabled pool/dataset)

Are you concerned about file integrity? (if that's a worry for you, you would need to set sync back to default (sync=standard) ) and look at doing a SLOG (and/or adding a lot more RAM to your system) to mitigate that slowness in sync writes.

If you're not worried about integrity and can live with getting the files back again from elsewhere in the case of unexpected power loss, leave sync=disabled.

awasb

Patron
Could you please add some more detail, what "volumes" are mounted where from where via what protocol (afp/smb/nfs/webdav/iscsi)?

maxall4

Cadet
Setting sync=disabled does not help. I have one pool using one of my SSDs all of its settings are the following:
sync=standard
compression=lz4
atime=on
deduplication=off
I'm accessing it over a Samba share with the default preset.
I think it's a network issue of some kind because everything works fine when doing these operations over ssh but I have no idea what that issue may be...

sretalla