SOLVED Slow Windows R/W Performance over 10GbE with my TrueNAS box

rathijit

Dabbler
Oh, I am surprised that the Intel went down to 2.5 - I had assumed that that just wouldn't work.
I have a 10Gb client (windows), with a 10Gb server (TrueNAS Core) and a pool of SSD's with some spare space I can run some tests on for you to see if I can replicate.
When I read a large file from a SMB share on the HDD Pool (pool isn't big enough to saturate a 10Gb) I get on first pass 400MB/s. Pass 2 1.1 GB/s as the file is coming from ARC The file is 25GB. I am hopping through 2 switches. I get the same results having copied the file to the SMB Share on the SSD Pool
Interesting! Did you have to configure anything on your PC or NAS to achieve that speed or did it work out of the box? Which Intel NIC do you have?

NugentS

MVP
From a network PoV its all fairly vanilla
I use a Chelsio 520 something or other without the CO in the name, See the primary TrueNAS in my signature

rathijit

Dabbler
I GOT IT!

I did an iperf test between 2 TrueNAS servers and found I was getting pretty good numbers: ~9.4GbE both ways!!

So the problem lies in the way my Mac and Windows computers transmit data over the 10GbE network between eachother.

I'll need to figure out why Windows and Mac are crapping out when reading data.

Last edited:

rathijit

Dabbler
After narrowing down the issue to my Windows PC, I did some digging and found the issue!!
The issue was my Antivirus (AVAST), which does some kind of packet sniffing... just turning off the protection did not solve the issue. As soon as I uninstalled AVAST, I started getting AMAZING performance on iperf, and also with data transfers in and out of my TrueNAS pool.

Thank you all for trying to debug this issue with me! This thread can now be resolved.

rathijit

Dabbler
Also, FYI, I tried Kaspersky and ran into the same issue. However, BitDefender does not exhibit any network slowness as far as I have observed in my initial tests.

Last edited: