TrueNAS stops responding / crashes after a while

Sentinal-Sys

Dabbler
Hello all,
I've been using my new NAS based on TrueNAS and various desktop components for a few months now.
So far everything seems to be fine, but I have two problems which I do not understand and which may be related.

1. I have set up a RAID 10 equivalent with 4 Seagate Ironwolf 10 TB disks. These disks are running on an LSI 9211-8I clone in IT mode. So the controller does not do RAID, only JBOD.
Now I have the problem that one of the four disks is constantly displayed as "unhealty" and this apparently produces checksum errors. It can be of course that the disks have an error, these are already 2-3 years old. But all 4?

2. maybe this error is also related to the first issue, I'm honestly wondering. But first I had a phenomenon which I describe in this thread:

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/nfs-share-schaltet-sich-regelmässig-ab.90223/

Now I removed all NFS exports and TrueNAS ran quite stable. Until after about a week I could no longer get to my SMB shares. I then wanted to check in the WebGui, but could not log in here either, or the website was not loaded at all. However, I could ping the IP address of the NAS... I had no choice but to turn TrueNAS off and restart it. After that everything worked again and I thought that was only a one-time event. But now it happened to me at least twice more and I just don't know what it could be.
I have also tried to find something in the logs. However, I find nothing that would explain the behavior. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong logs, or maybe I'm just blind...

Can you please give me a hint where I could still look, or maybe even what this could be? I just want to have a stable NAS...

Thank you very much.

Greetings

Johannes

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Four disks all having the same problem certainly reminds me that one SAS breakout cable has 4 SATA cables... consider swapping the cables around and if the problem follows the cable, there you have it.

Sentinal-Sys

Dabbler
It is also rather like that sometimes the one sometimes the other plate has an error. So never all at the same time.
Please excuse me if this should have been misleading.

pschatz100

Guru
I saw your other post as well. Per forum rules, you need to provide a description of your system. No info makes it nearly impossible to help. But I will offer one suggestion: you mentioned that you are running on recent consumer hardware. Try turning off all the power saving settings in your bios.

Sentinal-Sys

Dabbler
Hello,
I am sorry. Unfortunately, I did not know this forum rule. I have now added to my system data.
Thanks also for the tip. I will check the power settings all once.
I also found a VM from Proxmox which was running on the NFS export. Apparently I had not removed it correctly in Proxmox. I have now gone through all VMs and containers again and hopefully unmounted the NFS export correctly.
Maybe the crash came from the NFS export again. If so, the system should now run stable over the next few weeks, which I will also test.

However, the question arises, if it is the NFS export, what could it be? Normally such a behavior should not occur.

Many thanks and greetings

Johannes

pschatz100

Guru
The purpose behind providing your system specs is to make certain as much information as possible is available to help forum members diagnose your problem. The reason I suggested disabling all power management is because certain gaming-oriented motherboards support deep-sleep states that TrueNAS cannot awaken from. I don't know whether or not this contributes to your problem, but it is an easy thing to check.

Sentinal-Sys

Dabbler
Hello all,
I just wanted to give an update on the topic here.
For almost a month now my TrueNAS runs completely stable and without problems. I have now made several updates and thus rebooted more often. Also the problem with the "unhealty" hard drives has completely disappeared.

What have I done? I just completely removed the NFS exports from Proxmox to TrueNAS. So no more NFS between Proxmox and TrueNAS, that's it....

I will go to it the days and see if the behavior is similar if I just open a SMB share to Proxmox. That would indicate a problem in the network. I am very curious to see what comes out. It can not be that this should not work at all ...

Thanks for the help.

Greetings

Johannes

sretalla