TrueNAS setting to display SMR vs CMR drives

KevDog

Patron
I just received an io warning from TrueNAS which I believe has something to do with the use of SMR drives:

Code:
Device /dev/gptid/16f8514f-6a3d-11ea-83c6-0cc47a84a594 is causing slow I/O on pool tank.

I thought there was a screen in the TrueNAS gui that showed if the drives were CMR/SMR. Perhaps I'm wrong since I cant seem to find this screen anymore or I'm not looking in the right place.

TrueNAS Command will check for SMR drives. Someone created a bash script you can run on TrueNAS, but I can’t seem to find the post.

KevDog

Patron
@elvisimprsntr --- I have TrueCommand installed and that's probably where I saw the warning.. Thanks for pointing this to me. It would be nice if this functionality was included within TrueNAS itself.

KevDog

Patron
@elvisimprsntr

Weird - truecommand detected smr drives but the script didn't detect any. I guess the database used via the script doesn't contain my WD-RED SMR drives.

Etorix

Wizard
Have you checked that the warning is not linked to a defective or dying drive?

KevDog

Patron
Have you checked that the warning is not linked to a defective or dying drive?

I smart tested the "flagged drive" and nothing came up -- I ran the short and long tests. I think the problem may be with the cache as it becomes full with the SMR type from what I've read, however I'm no expert on this subject matter. When things like this go wonky -- as they have done with other errors in the past on other drives in the zpool -- usually a few months later I find out the drive is dying as errors begin to show up either on testing or other means.