TrueNAS Scale with ASM1062 SATA not detecting disks

idyrizen

Cadet
I just received a controller based on the ASM1062 chipset (ST LAB A-590). It has two internal mini-SAS connectors SFF-8087 and accomodates 8 drives in total.

It detects all drives when booting into Windows 11, but it cannot be configured in BIOS due to my MB chipset not supporting legacy option rom properly. I connected it to a different system forcing legacy BIOS (non-UEFI) and it is configurable there.

I am only intending to use this controller as an HBA.

In TrueNAS Scale the following logs during boot with 1 drive attached:
disks on "ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062" controller:
ata12: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
ata12.00: link online but device misclassified
ata12: link online but 1 devices misclassified, retrying
ata12: reset failed (errno=-11), retrying in 10 secs
ata12: reset failed (errno=-11), retrying in 10 secs
ata12: reset failed (errno=-11), retrying in 35 secs
ata12: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
ata12: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
ata12: link online but 1 devices misclassified, device detection might fail

It does not detect any disks when finally booted.

lspci shows the controller:
05:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
06:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
07:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
08:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

I found a post on the ubuntu bug tracker that describes this exact problem, indicating that this was a bug introduced in Ubuntu at the launch of 22.04, perhaps due to an upgrarded kernel. Could this also apply to TrueNAS Scale? (I know Scale runs debian under the hood)

There was also a github post from a couple of years ago showing this same error where the user stated it was sorted out by disabling IOMMU and any power-saving features. I tried this and it made no difference.

Any ideas other than buying an LSI-card? Did anyone have any success with this after upgrading the firmware on the ASM1062, and if so, which firmware version? (my controller is currently on 0.95)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
just received a controller based on the ASM1062 chipset (ST LAB A-590). It has two internal mini-SAS connectors SFF-8087 and accomodates 8 drives in total.

The ASM1062 is a two-port controller, and a Google of your card name doesn't reveal much in the way of detail. Educated guess is that this is some sort of port multiplier-driven card.

I found a post on the ubuntu bug tracker that describes this exact problem, indicating that this was a bug introduced in Ubuntu at the launch of 22.04,

Patch or no patch, this will never work well. It is inherent to the design. Please see

this controller as an HBA.

It's not an HBA and you cannot "use it" as one. It's a SATA controller. Please see

which is targeted towards RAID cards and non-LSI HBA's, but explains the fundamental issues why we push LSI HBA's as the best way to attach disks.

That said, if you manage to find some genuine ASM106x controllers (not Shenzhen knockoffs), without port multipliers, they're generally expected to be likely to work, subject to bus contention issues as described in the first article. Someone showed up in the forums a day or two ago pointing out this monster --

which I sorta suspect might work, but I'm not interested in spending two hundred dollars to find out.

idyrizen

Cadet
Right, thank you. I'll be buying an LSI HBA off ebay, then. I was initially looking at brand-new LSI cards and the price was.. unappealing. Sending this ASM1062-card back.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Please note that it may be worth a few extra bucks to get one already crossflashed to IT mode. There are a few vendors that specialize in that.

idyrizen

Cadet
Thanks! Yeah, I ended up buying an IT-flashed Dell H200 (LSI 9211). Works as as advertised.