Truenas Scale Upgrade fails

ver151set

Dabbler
Ryzen 3600x
64gb UDIMM ECC
Asrock Rack x470d4u
LSI HBA 4-16tbx2 mirrors 1 ultrastar hc550 and 1 exos x18 per mirror

When trying to upgrade from Core u6 it fails once it gets to post install tasks with this

Error: Command ['chroot' , '/tmp/tmpwkk83g_b' , 'grub-install' , '--target=i386pc' , /dev/sdl' ] failed with exit code 1: Installing for i386-pc platform
grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS boot partition; embedding wont be possible
grub-install: error: filesystem 'zfs' doesnt support blocklists

subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ['chroot' , '/tmp/tmpwkk83g_b' , 'grub-install' , '--target=i386pc' , /dev/sdl' ] returned non-zero exit status 1

Clean install works just fine, but I really dont want to have to redo everything in the config, already gonna be a hassle getting all my plugins/jail recreated and setup

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Actually, a clean install is a supported scenario. Just save your config from System->General, and then export your pool using the gear icon in Storage->Pools. (Uncheck the box that asks if you want to destroy any shares associated with the pool.)

After a clean install, you can reimport your pool via Storage->Pools, and click the blue Add button. Then in System->General, upload the saved config. You'll be back in business.

ver151set

Dabbler
I tried importing the full config with seed on the fresh install, it hangs on boot with middlewared failing to load

Samuel Tai

Is your system booting via legacy BIOS or via UEFI?

ver151set

Dabbler
Whats the easiest way to tell? Many users logged in using plex and mc at the moment so dont want to restart to dig through bios and find out, was hoping to knock out the upgrade sunday morning when server is usually idle. Looked thru bios info via ipmi and didnt see anything relevant

Samuel Tai

According to the manual for your motherboard, your system boots via UEFI. However, the error fragment you excerpt above indicates SCALE thinks your system boots via legacy BIOS.

ver151set

Dabbler
Thank you for your time so far sir, looking forward to getting on scale due to lots of weird issues recently with java 16 and sqlite jdbc errors on minecraft plugins

When I have a chance I will give it another go and look thru bios and find you an answer

ver151set

Dabbler
Had a chance this morning to look, in bios it was set to use either legacy or uefi boot, core was booting legacy. Currently am installing core via uefi, will upload config, then try scale update

ver151set

Dabbler
Update: Installed core using uefi option, uploaded config, rebooted, updated to scale - middlewared failed to load

Installed scale "fresh installation" uploaded config, rebooted, middlewared failed to load

Something in my config scale is not fond of it seems

Guess Im reconfiguring everything, gonna be a long night

Samuel Tai

I didn't realize you were trying to upgrade Core->Scale. This isn't currently implemented yet. For Scale, you have to do a full reinstall.

ver151set

Dabbler
Ah, saw a youtube vid of a guy successfully doing it and thought id try

After looking around in scale I dont believe itll work for my setup currently, going back to core

I use several nics and run publically accesible jails/plugins on different nic than local truenas interface. Scale apps dont seem to let me choose the other nics