21.06 Upgrade errors

SAINT

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I've decided to give SCALE a go and I'm trying to upgrade to 21.06 from CORE 12. Following the steps in the getting started guide when I proceed with the upgrade, it always terminates with the following error:

Code:
cannot create 'boot-pool/grub': dataset already exists

[0%] Creating dataset

[0%] Extracting

[90%] Extracting

[90%] Performing post-install tasks

Error: Command ['chroot', '/tmp/tmpvm64487u', 'update-grub'] failed with exit code 1: /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /dev/sdh2'.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python3.9/runpy.py", line 197, in _run_module_as_main return_run_code (code, main_globals, None,

File "/usr/lib/python3.9/runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code exec(code, run_globals)

File "/mnt/truenas_install/_main__.py", line 414, in <nodule>

main() File

"/mnt/truenas_install/__main__.py", line 341, in main ["chroot", root, "update-grub"])

File "/mnt/truenas_install/_main__.py", line 53, in run_connand File return subprocess.run(cmd, **dict(run_kw, **kwargs))

File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 528, in run raise CalledProcessError (retcode, process.args,

subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['chroot', '/tmp/tmpvm64487u', 'update-grub'] ' returned non-zero exit status 1.

The TrueNAS upgrade on sdc has failed. Press enter to continue...

Can anyone tell me what's happening? I can't seem to find this issue reported anywhere else.

Last edited:

SAINT

Dabbler
As a bit extra, this is the guide I started following when I was having problems, under "Migrating from TrueNAS CORE"

I've tried to upgrade my install, as well as doing a fresh install. I've also tried to installing in a new boot environment, as well as formatting the boot device. I get the same error regardless.