Migration problem: GRUB install fails (diskboot.img size must be 512 bytes.)

ToeiRei

Cadet
I run a TrueNAS Core system on a HP Microserver Gen10 plus and uploaded the migration package ("update to scale" doesn't fit here and hurts my common sense). I run the system disk via USB due to the earlier HP models not being able to boot from a SSD that was built in.

Sadly this error pops up:

[EFAULT] Command ['grub-install', '--target=i386-pc', '/dev/da0'] failed with exit code 1: Installing for i386-pc platform. grub-install: error: diskboot.img size must be 512 bytes.

Any way to work around this issue as I would love to migrate to scale as I could save myself a couple of extra VMs...

Cheers
Rei

azsose

Cadet
I am getting this too. Cannot seem to find a way around. I have plenty of storage space on the OS drive and the NAS drives.. And it is wiping out my MBR and killing my Core install

ToeiRei

Cadet
The MBR has nothing to do with overall storage space. The error reads that diskboot.img has the wrong size - which is what we're trying to write into the MBR

azsose

Cadet
The MBR has nothing to do with overall storage space. The error reads that diskboot.img has the wrong size - which is what we're trying to write into the MBR
Understood. Their process doesn't work in all cases is all I am getting at. There is a bug or steps missing.

ToeiRei

Cadet
To elaborate your answer here from my experience with Gentoo Linux and "building things from scratch" I came across that same error message when dealing with CLANG and MUSL - which made me add -sanitizer to the USE flags for the clang runtime as compiler-rt-sanitizer was broken at that time;

As a matter of fact, GRUB was building fine with the GRUB_PLATFORMS variables set up correctly, no errors and so on - but on installing GRUB to the MBR the error reads as we know it: `grub-install: error: diskboot.img size must be 512 bytes`

I ended up with the very same error as we're facing it. Which leads me to my best guess here being: grub creates "diskboot.img" in an extremely hairbrained way and that maybe the linker used may had its dirty little fingers on it, shrink diskboot.img

For a better understanding of grub and the images referred to, I suggest a look at https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/Images.html

LordRion

Cadet
I am getting the same Error as well... I see they have a bug report open about it.. but it doesn't seem to be getting much traction,