SCALE Installation Failed on USB SSD (BIOS mode only)

shanemikel

Dabbler
I tried the SCALE 22.02.4 and 22.12-BETA.1 installers. Both fail to install on the internal mSATA USB drive in my HP MicroServer Gen10 Plus. So far, I have set the server to boot in BIOS mode (likewise, selecting BIOS install in the installer). I have had no trouble installing TrueNAS Core in BIOS mode in this configuration.

I tried creating the install USB on Linux using dd, and on Mac using balenaEtcher. I have also tried replacing the internal mSATA USB with a USB thumb flash drive. During installation to the flash drive, I get the following:
> wipefs: error: /dev/sdd: probing initialization failed: Device or resource busy
> Warning: unable to wipe partition table
> Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table
> entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries.
> Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage.
> Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table
> entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries.
> Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage.
> Creating new GPT entries in memory.
> The operation has completed successfully.
> umount: /mnt: not mounted.
After that, the messages are normal, until attempting to boot I get the following GRUB message:
> error: attempt to read or write outside of disk `hd0'.

I am getting the same errors with the mSATA USB, minus the first wipefs error. I have tried completely zeroing out the drives beforehand. I have also tried creating clean MBR and GPT partition tables. Before you ask: yes I need it to work on the internal USB port, but I can use a different drive if it fits inside the enclosure. I am happy to test installation on a SATA or NVMe interface if that will help the diagnosis/fix.

UEFI mode install works.

Last edited:

shanemikel

Dabbler
One interesting thing is the UEFI mode install is giving the same error messages, despite that it works.