creating pool-[EFAULT] Unable to GPT format the disk "sde": Warning! Read error 5

Hello, I have 2 disks from my storage presented to truenas via fiber, and I created a pool with each one of them, that is, 2 pools of 2 disks from the same storage. I went to do this with a third disk, create a third pool. But I get this message. Does anyone know how to solve?

[EFAULT] Unable to GPT format the disk "sde": Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Unable to save backup partition table! Perhaps the 'e' option on the experts' menu will resolve this problem. Warning! An error was reported when writing the partition table! This error MIGHT be harmless, or the disk might be damaged! Checking it is advisable.

Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 423, in run await self.future File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 459, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1129, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1261, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 749, in do_create await self.middleware.call('pool.format_disks', job, disks) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1318, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1275, in _call return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 56, in format_disks await asyncio_map(format_disk, disks.items(), limit=16) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 16, in asyncio_map return await asyncio.gather(*futures) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 13, in func return await real_func(arg) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 29, in format_disk await self.middleware.call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1318, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1286, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1186, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/disk_/format.py", line 68, in format raise CallError(f'Unable to GPT format the disk "{disk}": {cp.stderr}') middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Unable to GPT format the disk "sde": Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Unable to save backup partition table! Perhaps the 'e' option on the experts' menu will resolve this problem. Warning! An error was reported when writing the partition table! This error MIGHT be harmless, or the disk might be damaged! Checking it is advisable.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Sorry, FC-connected LUNs presented as disks to TrueNAS isn't really a scenario the forum supports. This is a premium licensed feature from TrueNAS Enterprise.

From your description, it's possible your 3rd LUN is read-only, instead of read-write.

Last edited:
Hi! I am actually getting this error message using two brand new drives (iron wolf pro 16tb). they are connected to the sata ports on my motherboard. this is my first truenas install and I am really struggling to get it going. I tried to wipe the drive in question but still am getting this error message. any news on this issue? or advice?

Hi! I am actually getting this error message using two brand new drives (iron wolf pro 16tb). they are connected to the sata ports on my motherboard. this is my first truenas install and I am really struggling to get it going. I tried to wipe the drive in question but still am getting this error message. any news on this issue? or advice?
Hi, unfortunately I couldn't solve it. In your case, see in truenas if the serial number of the discs are the same. If they're identical, that might be it. Apart from that I have no more ideas.