Help With Remote Access - Setting up VPN

vm_boy

Dabbler
I need some help getting access to my TrueNAS server remotely. I used to have things setup where I could use DDNS and port forwarding, but then I changed ISPs and routers and I don't seem to have the ability to make that setup work. Besides, I think the VPN option is the safer, better route.

Here is my network setup: I have T-Mobile Home Internet, but the gateway is dumb as bricks and has no advanced features for port forwarding or anything else. I use Google Wifi routers which are a little smarter and can do port forwarding and VPN passthrough, but no client/server ability.

I have done the initial steps to setup the Certificate Authorities and Certificates in TrueNAS. I mostly followed this video (link). When I get to the "Download Client Config" button, I get an error saying 'remove certificates' and the following...

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 181, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1255, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1284, in nf
    return await func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1152, in nf
    res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vpn.py", line 440, in client_configuration_generation
    await OpenVPN.common_validation(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vpn.py", line 199, in common_validation
    if data.pop('remove_certificates'):
KeyError: 'remove_certificates'

I have also looked into third-party VPN services like Proton and Nord, but I'm not sure that is the same thing and I have not been able to figure out how to implement those. NordVPN has Meshnet, which I think would be a good way to be able to access the server remotely, but I think it requires the use of their client software, so I could potentially set that up with a Docker service or in a virtual machine.

If you could help me with some clear directions, I would really appreciate it. I am not a professional IT, networking, or computer person at all, but I have been tinkering with Linux for a decade and have run an Ubuntu/FreeNAS home server for a good number of those years, but it's mostly from recipes I have found online. So I know a little more than the basics, but usually need some hand-holding.

Thanks!

Whattteva

Wizard
NordVPN is more for connecting to THEIR VPN, not yours... unless they have another product that I haven't heard about.

If you want to setup Wireguard on TrueNAS CORE you can use this guide. I'm sure someone else can find the links for SCALE and OpenVPN.

vm_boy

Dabbler
I saw the wireguard app/docker. I can try to go that route, but I'm not sure how I poke through the router/gateway while I'm outside of the house.

Whattteva

Wizard
I saw the wireguard app/docker. I can try to go that route, but I'm not sure how I poke through the router/gateway while I'm outside of the house.
You're going to need to be able to forward at least 1 port for it to work.
If you can't, then I'd suggest something like Tailscale or Zerotier. I haven't used any of those though, so don't ask me how. I've only heard people suggest them that don't have an option to open ports through their firewall.

vm_boy

Dabbler
Tailscale and Zerotier look promising and they're free for personal use. I'll give those a try.