Error adding a new drive

bar1

Contributor
Hi,

I keep getting this error when i try to add a new SSD drive:
[EFAULT] Unable to GPT format the disk "sdb": Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Caution: invalid backup GPT header, but valid main header; regenerating backup header from main header. Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk! Main header: OK Backup header: ERROR Main partition table: OK Backup partition table: ERROR Could not create partition 1 from 128 to 4194304 Error encountered; not saving changes.

It is not very clear to me.....to i need to maybe change something in the raid logical value config?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Sounds like you got a used drive instead of new. I would go to your vendor for a warranty replacement.

bar1

Contributor
OK let me rephrase here....the drive itself is 1 year old and was working fine.....are you suggesting the drive is faulty?
I can check the warranty, should definitely still be in place.

Samuel Tai

Please relate in detail what was going on with this SSD. Your first post indicated you had a new SSD. The errors indicated a used SSD. Now you say it had been working for a year. Same system? How was it in operation?

bar1

Contributor
I just meant install a "new" ssd into the array.
The SSD is 1 year old,sorry for the confusion hope that is clear.

The SSD was used on another system I am 99% sure it was used on another truenas server but i am not too sure now, the SSD was not being used for a few month, and now i would like to install it ,into my main truenas system

Samuel Tai

OK, that makes more sense. Just secure erase the SSD to restore it to factory. It will go into your pool fine. The Pool Manager expects disks being added to be without a partition table.

Meltex

Cadet
OK, that makes more sense. Just secure erase the SSD to restore it to factory. It will go into your pool fine. The Pool Manager expects disks being added to be without a partition table.

Hello! I have exactly the same issue - tried to create a pool on my 240Gb SATA SSD that was in use about 2 years. I thought that the disk might be broken so bought a new one and the new one gives me the same error when I try to create pool. Old is WD Blue WDS250G2B0A, new is ADATA ASU650SS-240GT-R.

Disks were connected to ORIENT A1061S-M2 expansion card, but I also tried to connect old WD Caviar Black to that SATA port and pool creation procedure finished successfully. I don't know what to do.

Meltex

Cadet
Solved. I have bought new SATA controller and both SSD work correct with it.