Installation problems

Chaitea

Cadet
Hello,

I have been trying to install TrueNAS Scale for the past few days but haven't been having much luck.

List of hardware:

Motherboard: Micro-ATX ASRock B550 pro4 am4
RAM: 2X Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
PSU Corsair 650W
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600g
SSD (boot): 500GB WD Blue NVMe M.2
HDD: 4X WD RED 16TB

About a week ago 2 of the hdds arrived I was excited to get started, learn the webui and explore it's features, after a little while using a new 32gb USB with the latest truenas scale iso made bootable with Rufus I got it working and it booted but some systems said failed (I can't recall which ones) the webui however worked I managed to create my first pool and then tried to shut down through webui and it never shut down.

I force shut it down with power button and booted back up and it never started successfully again. I thought I'd wait until the other two hard drives arrive and do a fresh install. I believe the problem was middleware failed to start

3 days ago the other two hard drives arrived I tried so many things but never succeeded in an install of truenas scale.

Notable errors:
1. unsquashfs failed with exit code 1 using 12 processors..
2. umount: /mnt not mounted
3. Partition table claims size of this partition table is 0 bytes.
4. Dataset fail partition might be garbage
5. On the page where you select install reboot shut down etc it has black text on left towards bottom saying failed to load firmware rtl_nic

What I have tried:

- USB 3.0 in all slots (USB 3 & 2),
- tried flashing the Usb again with the same version but redownloaded from website after a few attempts
- Different programs for creating the Usb iso Rufus and etcher, with etcher I haven't noticed problem 5 and I get some successes but back to problem 1 so seems a little better
- tried with a SD card in a USB converter that seems to go well but back to the unsquash error again
- Tried selecting to USB option from bios to boot the install and also UEFI
- Tried selecting the 16gb partition swap on installation page (sometimes yes some times no)
- flashed USB with latest version Ubuntu, installed no problem boots and loads well (just to see maybe my hardware was the problem)
- install truenas core it said install succeded and asked for reboot and remove USB so I shut down, removed the Usb went to bios to change the boot priority to the drive it was installed on (SSD) and I'm greeted with another error failed to find bootable partition ... Cannot open boot/Lua/loader.lua no such file or directory

I tried with csm disabled/enabled, legacy bios mode, reset to default bios settings usually getting similar problems each time..

I really want this to work TrueNAS scale seems to be the best option for me. I will keep track of what I'm trying and what errors each one results, sorry I haven't done that yet but seems pretty critical to problem solve this.

If there are any suggestions based off of this information it would be much appreciated thank you in advance and will keep this updated.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Is this new hardware? In other words: Did it work properly with another OS in the past?

Chaitea

Cadet
Is this new hardware? In other words: Did it work properly with another OS in the past?

Everything except the CPU is new, I took the CPU from my desktop and upgraded desktop with a new one.

After many failed attempts trying to install TrueNAS scale I thought maybe it's my hardware so tried to install Ubuntu (os) which worked - installed booted up restarted and shutdown.

Chaitea

Cadet
This sounds very much like UEFI vs. legacy BIOS booting...
So the options for the boot drives is UEFI which seems to try and initiate the truenas core, and then the same SSD shows below as an option without UEFI Infront of it which doesn't do anything except say "please select a drive with a bootable OS" if selected

Chaitea

Cadet
Update! I believe it has succeeded, I ran dskmgmt on Windows deleted the volume from USB and created a new one and then flashed TrueNAS again with etcher did an install with motherboard/bios set to default and got installed successful/succeeded booted up true Nas no problem but network failed (didn't have Ethernet plugged in so that makes sense) going to give it a whirl tomorrow with the Ethernet connected but this time it also shut down correctly where as the first time with 2 hdds it did not it just froze so it looks promising!