TrueNAS SCALE: The voyage begins with version 20.10

usern

Dabbler
EXT4 boot devices would be preferred for my use case since the bare metal server hosting service does not have PXE booted remote rescue tools for ZFS yet. At the moment I just use SMB server running on Ubuntu with SSH management, but TrueNAS web management would be way nicer.

horizonbrave

Explorer
Please could you define the "industry-standard servers" which will support HCI (hyper convergence)?
Maaaaaaany of us won't be able to afford, economically and logistically (non-US residents), a R-Series system but as you know already run Truenas on server grade hardware.
Thank you

PS some of us "cheap pockets" wouldn't mind paying for a subscription model, so that we can at least give a "small" economical contribute back ;)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Please could you define the "industry-standard servers" which will support HCI (hyper convergence)?
Maaaaaaany of us won't be able to afford, economically and logistically (non-US residents), a R-Series system but as you know already run Truenas on server grade hardware.
Thank you

PS some of us "cheap pockets" wouldn't mind paying for a subscription model, so that we can at least give a "small" economical contribute back ;)
The same hardware that runs TrueNAS CORE will run TrueNAS SCALE for free. The primary difference is that multinode clusters will need a high bandwidth interconnect network. 10Gbe will work, but 100Gbe is better.

Mlovelace

Guru
The same hardware that runs TrueNAS CORE will run TrueNAS SCALE for free. The primary difference is that multinode clusters will need a high bandwidth interconnect network. 10Gbe will work, but 100Gbe is better.
When I read multinode clusters with high bandwidth interconnect, I start thinking iWARP or RoCE. Any plans to include Debian's RDMA-core so users can leverage it?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
When I read multinode clusters with high bandwidth interconnect, I start thinking iWARP or RoCE. Any plans to include Debian's RDMA-core so users can leverage it?
If someone needs it, we rarely refuse a purchase order or a developer contribution....

stele77

Dabbler
Just came to say: Thanks for the nice christmas present! December release should be my sweetspot to dip my toes in the water.. :)

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Just came to say: Thanks for the nice christmas present! December release should be my sweetspot to dip my toes in the water.. :)

Great! We should have some good stuff available for Plugins / Containers by then, which I know more than a few of you are eager to use.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, if you grow beyond a single system, you'll be able to cluster and add 1-2+ systems to the pool to grow further.

Geek Baba

Explorer
Hi @morganL will it require the 100Gbe switches to scale out or point to point will work with adding say 2 NIC - e.g. Mellanox CX455A 100GbE NIC HPE InfiniBand

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
As long as you stick to two nodes you can always drop the switch - true for every clustering solution - the nodes won't notice if there is a switch inbetween or just a cable/fibre.

Geek Baba

Explorer
As long as you stick to two nodes you can always drop the switch - true for every clustering solution - the nodes won't notice if there is a switch inbetween or just a cable/fibre.
Thanks! Are any recommendation for 100Gbe network cards or switches that work with scale?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The speed of the network needed depends on the speed of the cluster. It's possible to network with 10Gbe, but 100Gbe is preferred for performance. We've tested with Chelsio and Mellanox, but don't expect any major problems with other NICs. Linux has strong driver support.

Geek Baba

Explorer
The speed of the network needed depends on the speed of the cluster. It's possible to network with 10Gbe, but 100Gbe is preferred for performance. We've tested with Chelsio and Mellanox, but don't expect any major problems with other NICs. Linux has strong driver support.
Thanks! Thats what i was hoping for

adrianwi

Guru
Anyone running it in a bhyve VM, just to play with?

In case anyone is interested in trying, the answer appears to be YES it does :wink:

Last edited:

Geek Baba

Explorer
rUQm5UvfKkno-gxAFSDIVRALPcRgvmt4i3g73pGuRiqyoqyy0AMHssyxYdB_M22semTBfw0CB9i5XUzc6s-fXsu1qva-DS__pUeTsiEg8xkr0RW-6xxYtzojTOMw6pfnHV-AYxvs

After a very successful development cycle with 200+ trial users, the first version of TrueNAS SCALE is now available. As our initial community post and blog on SCALE indicated, TrueNAS SCALE is defined by its acronym:

Scale-Out ZFS: Capacity & Performance
Converged compute and storage
Active-Active reliability
Linux containers; Docker, K8s, and KVM
Easy Setup & Management

TrueNAS starts from the TrueNAS 12.0 base which includes OpenZFS 2.0, all the storage services, the middleware to coordinate these, and the web UI to present a user-oriented view of the system. This base has been tested by hundreds of thousands of users over the last few years. The new capabilities being added are based on Debian Linux and these define the new opportunities for SCALE:

KVM Virtualization: Mature Hypervisor with good reliability, Guest OS support, and Enterprise features.

Kubernetes: Applications can be single (docker) containers or “pods” of containers.

Scale-out ZFS: SCALE will enable datasets to be defined as ZFS datasets or cluster datasets which span multiple nodes and ZFS pools. Cluster datasets will have a variety of redundancy properties and still support ZFS snapshots.

Unlike other Hyperconverged Infrastructure solutions, TrueNAS SCALE will have deployment benefits as a single node, a dual-node “HA” system, or as a cluster of multiple nodes. Start with a single node system and in the future, you will be able to scale-out.

The high level release plan follows this process.

Typical Use CaseTrueNAS SCALE TagTarget Date
DevelopersNIGHTLYJune 2020
TestersNIGHTLYAugust 2020
Enthusiasts (1 Node)ALPHAOctober 2020
Enthusiasts (Cluster)BETADecember 2020
Home UsersRCQ1 2021
Business UsersRELEASEQ2 2021

oSQhAC6zqPZF6DCwg0EPzsfXR7QLyGFCXg_ig02MbvbpgDeAPvcB4q7xXeJqXAfFFHL3h1dbYUJGWQldgiYmEWqpub559UNmL-QZwGRfomKUdvDX9Yn_GxzAvCBf44fyCx-0eiXH

“ANGELFISH”

Angelfish is the codename for the feature set described by a set of feature groups. Each “feature group” is described as either PREVIEW, ALPHA, BETA, RC, or RELEASE quality. This first version is called TrueNAS SCALE 20.10 (Angelfish) and is described as follows:

Feature GroupsQuality
Debian LinuxRELEASE
Open ZFS 2.0RC
TrueNAS Middleware and REST APIBETA
TrueNAS WebUI (new features)ALPHA
NFS, SMB, AFP, iSCSI, S3, WebDAVBETA
KVM VirtualizationBETA
Kubernetes and Docker ContainersPREVIEW
Cluster DatasetsPREVIEW

Users should read the release notes to confirm support for their particular use case. KVM has little testing by this community at this point but is widely used elsewhere. Kubernetes is based on stable, released code (k3s), but the WebUI and Middleware are PREVIEW quality.

Cluster datasets require some additional TrueCommand features (expected in TrueCommand 2.0 - November) to provide an easy-to-use WebUI to manage them. In the meantime, the CLI and APIs can be tested, and this feature group also has PREVIEW status.

The UI, while similar to TrueNAS CORE, has also been improved with some new UX enhancements across the networking and settings sub-sections. Further UX improvements are expected to arrive later this year.

We appreciate the community feedback and bug reports and hope to get all those features to RELEASE quality faster.

A special thanks also goes to the large number of community members who joined the development and test team. We’ve really enjoyed your contributions and teamwork and it has greatly contributed to the accelerated development process. We look forward to a continued engagement and a few drinks at some point (physically or virtually).

Is TrueNAS SCALE for Users or Developers?

Out of the gate, TrueNAS SCALE is primarily for developers and bug hunters and can be downloaded here. For Linux developers, there are many opportunities to contribute to the Open Source TrueNAS SCALE project. We have made it a very well coordinated and managed environment to develop the best Open Hyperconverged Infrastructure. For more information, see this Community post.

This TrueNAS SCALE 20.10 version is also intended for tech-savvy enthusiasts who have a single node, a backup plan, and a willingness to resolve any issues they find. The 20.12 version to be released in December is intended for multi-node expansion.

In 2021, TrueNAS SCALE is expected to get to full RELEASE quality for a clustered system. It will be able to run on High Availability (HA) X-Series and M-Series systems, as well as industry-standard servers.

If you have any additional questions or need advice on a new project, please email us at info@iXsystems.com. We are standing by to help.
Hi @Kris Moore - is 20.12 still on track to be released this month...

perriko

Cadet
ya, ya
but what developers do not inspire/copy a logical manner if is works well
you must stay in 1 foot (on the left of course) and scratch in the left ear with RIGHT hand from 3 to 3 second to work something
for that is ALPHA, BETA and other things. TO tell developers what we think about they works
What??!

bar1

Contributor
can this be installed on a normal flash drive/sd card or is not not recommended?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's as recommended as for any vaguely modern version of FreeNAS/TrueNAS (i.e. not recommended).