SOLVED TrueNAS Scale SMB/ACL permissions don't inherit

Hello,

Can somebody help me with the issue. Possibly, I didn't configured something correctly on the new version.
I recently updated TrueNAS from 22.02.3 to 22.12.0

Let me explain what is wrong.

I have shared dataset data2 > media
1671394028309.png

set permissions to FullControl for 'owner' and 'nas_editors' @group and Group
1671394206547.png

Users 'vladislav' and 'syncthing' has Primary Group - 'nas_editors'

So if I click Use ACL Presets everything will be applied accordingly

2022-12-18_12-18-48.png

I can see correct rights on windows as well

2022-12-18_12-28-32.png

Now if I create a folder or file via Windows or Mac on SMB, doesn't matter I have rights that will looks like this below
2022-12-18_12-31-03.png
2022-12-18_12-24-04.png

All SMB Parameters are default, you can see it below. Not sure why the permission is not inherited. It was working on previous version of TrueNAS.
2022-12-18_12-35-24.png

I believe I figure it out. Once I switched ACL Mode to Restricted permissions become as I wanted them to be for new files/folders
1671483397448.png

What is the output of zfs get aclinherit for the dataset in question?
Hmmm
It shows this. Is it different settings than the one I set in GUI (ACL Mode - Restricted) ?
Code:
data2                                                                                                                                         aclinherit  passthrough    local
data2/media                                                                                                                              aclinherit  passthrough    local
data2/media/cinema                                                                                                                 aclinherit  passthrough    inherited from data2/media

Hafnernuss

Dabbler
I think I am facinga similar issue.
With active ACL settings, I can create a file via Windows and the correct permissions seem to be applied. However, if a certain app is creating a file, the permissions appear to be wrong.

I have set the ACL inherit mode to "restricted", but the
Code:
zfs get aclinherit
command always shows the dataset in question with "discard" instead of "inherit".

Sawtaytoes

Patron
On those shares, you can do this to fix it:
Code:
zfs set aclinherit=passthrough your_pool/your_smb_dataset

Hafnernuss

Dabbler
Oh okay, thanks. I will try that out today. I am in fact using NFSv4 as it seems to be a bit easier to handle.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Oh okay, thanks. I will try that out today. I am in fact using NFSv4 as it seems to be a bit easier to handle.
The general recommendations for ZFS configuration for SMB are:
aclmode - restricted
aclinherit - passthrough

Then if you are dealing with local users, fine-tune as needed. E.g.
group: builtin_users - MODIFY - INHERIT

Hafnernuss

Dabbler
Strange, both aclmode and aclinherit are set to "discard".
I have set mode to restriced and inherit to passthrough, now everything seems to work as expected.
Thank you both very much for your help!