13.0-U1: Files Copied Through SMB Inherit Unexpected ACL Permissions

irTwit

Dabbler
My point of reference for this issue is how things used to work in TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 vs how they seem to work now in TrueNAS-13.0-U1.

Issue
In TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1, when adding/copying files to a SMB share those files inherit the same permissions as the other files in the folder/dataset. In TrueNAS-13.0-U1, instead files inherit different permissions.

Test Setup
In the screenshots and video the VM on the left is TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 and the VM on the right is a clone of the first VM updated to TrueNAS-13.0-U1. Note the behavior was the same with or without anodos' SMB fix. Through the UI, I also tried striping all ACLs before reapplying the preset.

Pools.PNG

On both VM's, the "RESTRICTED" ACL preset with "test" user/group have been recursively applied on the "shared" and child datasets. I am logged into both shares using the "test" username and password.
ACL Permissions.PNG

The Results
A file copied on TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 inherits permissions identical to the source file in the same location. A file copied on TrueNAS-13.0-U1 only inherits "Read" for the "test" group and "Read, Write, Special permissions" for the "test" user.
Desktop 2022.07.18 - 19.39.30.09.mp4_snapshot_00.37_[2022.07.18_20.02.36].jpg

Video Demonstration

Last edited:

irTwit

Dabbler
The issue seems to stem from the dataset's "ACL Mode". The unexpected ACLs occur when the dataset ACL Mode is set to "Passthrough".

I don't know if this is intended behavior. It didn't work this way in TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 but does in TrueNAS-13.0/13.0-U1.1.

Last edited:

dust_bro

Dabbler
Has there been any updates on this? I'm having the same SMB permissions issues since my upgrade to 13.
It seems that Files carry the right permissions, but Folders are set to Read Only.

Last edited: