Truenas Scale-scaleout-iscsi-snapshots

craig51

Dabbler
Team,

I have been using truenas core in our production enveiremnt for a few years now an am very pleased with it. I am sussessfully running our vmware datastores on about 10 "production" units and replicating the hourly to 4 larger "replicaion" units. I feel comfortable in the fact of not losing a san but the process if one does go down is a downtile issuse. I was looking at the conversion to Truenas Scale to solve my problem but it seems that curently the option to have realtime redundacy (HA,) ISCSI and snaphots is not there. i am looking at the road map and it seems like all of these options will be there in Bluefin? would someone out there or an admin person be able to let me know if this is the case

Craig51
Dell R730xd
12-6tb 7200 SAS
1 200g sas - zil
1-400g sas - cache
10g netwrok

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Right now the roadmap is to add those gluster/ZFS snapshots to Bluefin, however the clustering capabilities are only targeted at file-based (SMB) type workloads, not block/ISCSI. If you want fast failover and low latency for your VMware clients you'd probably want to consider a TrueNAS Enterprise system which is designed for exactly that type of setup.

craig51

Dabbler
Kris,
thank you clearing that up, i wannted to ask if the Enterprise versions provide a true multinode option, we have had 2 TrueNas boxes before and the idea of failover was 2 nodes on 1 storage, not my idea of full redundancy, if they are avaialbe i wil lreach out to sales for quotes

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Craig,

No, Enterprise works on the active/standby model, so that you get the full throughput of a single pool on any one controller. This is what will provide the most IOPS and lowest latency (Critical in VMware use-cases) to your client VMs. Everything inside the enterprise chassis, minus the pool (Which ZFS handles just fine), is fully redundant so you can withstand a full controller loss and keep on serving.