Running existing NAS aside from TrueNAS

carlovdv

Cadet
Hello,

We're currently looking into options to expand our storage systems and I am currently researching my options.
Our current setup involves two Synology NAS systems. One we use for daily operations and the second we use to backup our first NAS.
Due to our business expanding abroad we were looking into TrueNAS Scale and decided to set up a server with 12 drives in total and are also looking into a JBOD for future proofing.

The problem is that we'd like to repurpose our current Synology setup and were wondering if there is a way to use it alongside TrueNAS.
Both systems have eSATA, USB and Ethernet ports that could be used for data transfer and one of these systems has an PCI-E expansion slot (x8).

What would be the best way to set this up? The best scenario for us would be that we could use one system alongside the TrueNAS pool for extra storage and use the 2nd system for backups of both but we are unsure if that is even possible.

Another possibility is of course running multiple SMB shares but we'd like to manage the files from one place and centralize this into one system.

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our use case and what your suggestions would be.

EMP-Tea

Dabbler
Using a Synology for backups from a TrueNAS is certainly doable. It requires setting up rsync on the Synology and a task on TrueNAS using rsync. I think there's some extra work involving setting up SSH as well (maybe someone can correct me on that).

I believe you can also just directly connect a Synology to a TrueNAS via ethernet (if you have the extra port) so it doesn't affect your main network.