TrueNAS Scale minimum disk quantity

Invizion

Dabbler
I'm actually in TrueNAS Core and would like to try TrueNAS Scale (migration).
After getting some information, on the main page, it states it needs at least two disks with equal size. This is really a necessity?

For now I only one HDD. It's automatically making backups for one other disk I have on my computer.

Can I just migrate with one disk or really need to buy another one to do a migration?

Thanks.

LarsR

Guru
You can go with just one drive as a single stripe, but then you don't have redundancy. The minimum requirement for Data Redundancy are 2 disk in a Mirror and if you value your Data i would suggest you to follow the advice on the main page.
If you get any corruption or problems with your single drive your backup is essentially useless and not recoverable.

Invizion

Dabbler
Hello,

Thanks for your quick reply. As I stated at the moment I have a smaller disk in my computer to where I make backups of the critical data (it's not so much data). In the future, I plan to add at least another disk equal to the one I have in the NAS to auto mirror all the data. All the other data is not important so in case I lost it, there's no problem (only time-consuming gathering it again).

Since I can migrate with only one disk I will try it then :)

Thank you.

LarsR

Guru
You do technically need 2 discs, one for the OS, since truenas uses the whole disk and one for your data pool...

Invizion

Dabbler
Oh, yeah, but so you do in Core :)
Just had a doubt since Core as minimum requirements ask for 1 disk and scale 2 and I assumed it would be 2 disks for pools/raid.