Cadet
Hello all!

System details:
OS Version
: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4
Product: MS-7D18
Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10500T CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 63 GiB

I have one problem so far, but it is bothering me enough, to open a question here.
I do not have any selectable GPU under any application. Not for the official, not for any truecharts based app.
The "Resource Reservation ->GPU Configuration" under any apps is empty. It is just simply empty, and i do not understand why.
For example this is what i can see, when i try to "install" a new plex app from officaial catalog:
1667244725743.png

I just bought Plex pass, and i want to have the advantage of HW transcode, but as i realized i cannot use it, because the plex app (truechart edition, netiher the offical) cant see any gpu. I do not have any dedicated gpu, i have an I5-1500T with UHD630 igpu, which should be more then enough to me.
unknown.png

Can you give me any hint, even a link , which could help me to set this up? The prof that the truenas can see the igpu is that on the system/isolated GPU devices section, i can see the item on the list. (second pic) But the people of the internet says, this could be used anyway to VM-s not for apps. So clearly this is not the place where is have to make some operation. I DID NOT ISOLATED THE GPU! I just told showed it in order to prove that, yes, the system itself somehow sees the igpu, but it cant be selected for the apps!

unknown.png

Result of the LSPCI command:

Code:
lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Comet Lake-S 6c Host Bridge/DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (rev 03)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 43ed (rev 11)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device 43ef (rev 11)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 43f0 (rev 11)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 43e0 (rev 11)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 43d2 (rev 11)
00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 43c4 (rev 11)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 43bc (rev 11)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4387 (rev 11)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device f0c8 (rev 11)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 43a3 (rev 11)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 43a4 (rev 11)
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp WD Blue SN500 / PC SN520 NVMe SSD (rev 01)

Any help welcome!
Thank you!

kzsolt4444

Cadet
This can be also related: No video signal at boot

I was facing the same issue on the very very beginning of my truenas journay , and i just followed the instructions on this post, and i inserted the following code section: "nomodeset i915.modeset = 0"

Hereis what i have, when i hit enter for: cat /etc/default/grub.d/truenas.cfg

Code:
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="TrueNAS Scale"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="libata.allow_tpm=1 systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 amd_iommu=on iommu=pt kvm_amd.npt=1 kvm_amd.avic=1 intel_iommu=on zfsforce=1 nomodeset i915.modeset = 0"
GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --speed=115200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1"
GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1"

kzsolt4444

Cadet
Hello guys!

It seems i solved the problem by myself.
The solution for the problem: “no display on boot” was generating/causing this problem → no selectable gpus at the apps!

So for solving my first problem, i applied the recomennded code to the grub: “nomodeset i915.modeset=0“ (spaces doesn’t matter). It solved the problem. If i have it added, then i can see the things on the screen attached directly to the computer. But if i leave it there, then there won’t be any selectable GPU FOR THE APPS!

So now, i did two things:
1. I removed the command from grub by firing this command:
midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": ""}'
(if you added previously the “nomodeset i915.modeset=0“ then this will clear it. I dont know if it was needed, but i also hit enter on this command after it:

Code:
update-grub

If you want to make sure, you can see the config file, and the extra option should gone from it:
Code:
vi /etc/default/grub.d/truenas.cfg 2Press ESC then type :q   to quit

2. On the meanwhile i was reading a topic on the internet, and a guy suggested to create a file if it is not already exists (/etc/modprobe.d/modesetting.conf), and put this value onto: ---> options i915 modeset=1

So i did this 2 point. I cannot confirm it, but i believe the first point is the point, which actually helped to see the gpu’s at the APPS.
So you have to sacrifice your screen after boot. You anyway can manage your system from an other computers browser. Or if you really need it for some reason, then re-add the nomodeset code.

However, i don’t know what does it mean, but i can see 6 occurences of intel GPU’s now…:
Képernyőkép 2022-11-10 213831.png
I will see if any of them actually make a job (like plex transcode) and if yes, i don’t care if i have multiple item on the list
:smile:

I put my solution in there: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-118869

Pavlinchen

Dabbler
Hi @kzsolt4444,
did you manage to get hardware transcoding working with any of the GPUs?
Also did you reboot inbetween any of these steps?
I followed them exactly but for me the GPU's don't show up.

TIA!

kzsolt4444

Cadet
Honestly i do not remember exactly, when i did the reboots, and how many times, but it shouldnt matter.

Did you achieved to see multiple gpus?
Or what is your status?

Pavlinchen

Dabbler
Hi,
Unfortunately I was not able to get to see any GPUs.
But I still have a screen on boot, so I'll have a deeper look into this.

t4corun

Cadet
I'm very new to this, but managed to get things to work on Bluefin with an Intel 12700K. Hope my notes helps some

The Bluefin release documentation says we need to enable Alderlake support on a fresh install. After adventuring, this is what I had to do so far.

- Open a shell as root
- Use Intel ARK to look up your CPU and find the Processor Graphics Device ID. For the 12700K the number is 0x4680
- Execute this command to enable the iGPU. Replace the value for force_probe with the Device ID you found

Code:
midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "i915.force_probe=4680" }'

- We need to download the latest snapshot of the linux_firmware. It is possible to download the exact files we need, but the kernel loader gets upset about the file size. If you didn't navigate anywhere, the downloaded file should be in `/root`

Code:
wget "https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/snapshot/linux-firmware-20230117.tar.gz"

- Extract the contents of the file

Code:
tar -xzvf linux-firmware-20230117.tar.gz

- Scan the logs and see what file you need to copy over. For my CPU

- Copy the firmware files to the right place. For some reason these are not included in the TrueNAS distribution. These files might change when you do a TrueNAS upgrade and the Linux Kernel Updates
```bash
cp /root/linux-firmware-20230117/i915/tgl_guc_62.0.0.bin /lib/firmware/i915/
cp /root/linux-firmware-20230117/i915/tgl_huc_7.9.3.bin /lib/firmware/i915/
```
- Create this file with the contents below
```bash
nano /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
```
```text
options i915 enable_guc=2
```
- Reboot the system
- Open the shell again
- Check the logs to see if this all worked
```bash
dmesg | grep i915
```

Hi folks,

I'm running TN Scale 22.12.1 and it's been smooth sailing. However, tonight all of a sudden I notice the Truecharts Plex app is stuck in Deploying (didnt update anything)... anyone, same issue, GPU Configuration is not select-able in the app, or other apps, all of a sudden. These apps all worked previously.

This was the application event message: 0/1 nodes are available: 1 Insufficient nvidia.com/gpu. preemption: 0/1 nodes are available: 1 No preemption victims found for incoming pod.

I've looked over the thread and a few others. I got the plex container running simply by toggling off than on for the App>Advanced>Enable GPU support option. I can then run Plex with my nvidia 2060 disabled, but not enabled.

I can also see my card in shell with the command, nvidia-smi.

After a few minutes of trying, it finally went active with the card enabled. I'm certain there's some nvidia driver issue or something in the apps.

Any

haha517

Cadet
I'm very new to this, but managed to get things to work on Bluefin with an Intel 12700K. Hope my notes helps some

The Bluefin release documentation says we need to enable Alderlake support on a fresh install. After adventuring, this is what I had to do so far.

- Open a shell as root
- Use Intel ARK to look up your CPU and find the Processor Graphics Device ID. For the 12700K the number is 0x4680
- Execute this command to enable the iGPU. Replace the value for force_probe with the Device ID you found

Code:
midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "i915.force_probe=4680" }'

- We need to download the latest snapshot of the linux_firmware. It is possible to download the exact files we need, but the kernel loader gets upset about the file size. If you didn't navigate anywhere, the downloaded file should be in `/root`

Code:
wget "https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/snapshot/linux-firmware-20230117.tar.gz"

Code:

- Copy the firmware files to the right place. For some reason these are not included in the TrueNAS distribution. These files might change when you do a TrueNAS upgrade and the Linux Kernel Updates
```bash
```
```bash
```
```text
```
- Reboot the system
- Open the shell again
```bash
dmesg | grep i915
```
Hi, i am use dell T350 server,and cpu is e-2324g,i'am follow your guide,but not work,so my question is :
Scan the logs and see what file you need to copy over. For my CPU

haha517

Cadet

- Open a shell as root

Code:

Code:

Code:

```bash
```
```bash
```
```text
```
- Reboot the system
- Open the shell again
```bash
dmesg | grep i915
```
Hi, i am use dell T350 server,and cpu is e-2324g,i'am follow your guide,but not work,so my question is :
how to Scan the logs and see what file my need to copy over. For my CPU

nimuie

Dabbler
Hi! same issue here - except for 2 things
1. i have 3 GPUs (2x quadro p400 + motherboard integrated) that I can see in the isolate GPU menu
2. nvidia-smi is returning this error: NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

i reinstalled the OS and nvidia-smi worked but as soon as I loaded the config file again I returned to the same issue. any ideas how I could fix this?

nero10578

Dabbler
Hi! same issue here - except for 2 things
1. i have 3 GPUs (2x quadro p400 + motherboard integrated) that I can see in the isolate GPU menu
2. nvidia-smi is returning this error: NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

i reinstalled the OS and nvidia-smi worked but as soon as I loaded the config file again I returned to the same issue. any ideas how I could fix this?
Same issue here. Seems like GPU support inside Truenas Scale itself is so broken for a while now. Even if it works it cannot be relied on to work on future releases.

I have a 10th gen intel cpu based gpu and a nvidia 2060. Both can be seen by the OS. 'nvidia-smi' properly returns the card. I can isolate either card.

However, in Plex app (TN Community) I have set both gpu's under GPU Configuration, but no combo of intel 0-6 on, or off and Nvidia will let me see the nvidia card in Plex app under new transcoding option preference. The intel gpu works and is good, but the nvidia one can't be see apparently.

This is somewhat new to me as I had before (unknowingly) disabled the Intel gpu in BIOS and was only using and passing to plex the nvidia one. Lost track after that was enabled and several updates to plex app to know when it stop working exactly.

So it works, but not the way I'd like.