TrueNAS SCALE /etc/hosts file not persistent across reboots

Arwen

MVP
Actually, adding a button at the save "/etc/hosts" screen to force the implementation of the change would be helpful. If desired, a popup warning that things could go bad can added too.

@John Rushford is somewhat right in that trivial changes do need to be quick and easy. Even if you have to acknowledge a "Yes, I am absolutely sure I am not a total idiot, and got the change(s) correct" popup.

Perhaps adding a comment to the Jira ticket about a button to force the change live, and maybe a popup.

John Rushford

Dabbler
Kris, see NAS-122346:

Description:

"When it is necessary to add host entries to /etc/hosts on a TrueNAS system, one must use the UI to ensure updates to /etc/hosts are persisted across reboots. However, when making updates through the UI the changes are not applied immediately applied to /etc/hosts until one reboots the TrueNAS server. There is a workaround to this where one may ssh into the TrueNAS and also make manual updates to /etc/hosts that match the UI changes in order to avoid a reboot. However, I believe none of this should be necessary. You should give the system administrator of the NAS the opportunity to choose how he wants to update /etc/hosts.

There seems to be two camps where some believe that a reboot should be required to persist changes to /etc/hosts in order to avoid application host lookup issues and there are those like myself that believe that it is nuts to require rebooting your NAS to get these updates. I feel like a good compromise would be to add a checkbox in the UI that when checked, would also apply updates to /etc/hosts. This way the nervous nellies would remain happy and I wouldn’t have to ssh in to duplicate my changes."

John Rushford

Dabbler
Actually, adding a button at the save "/etc/hosts" screen to force the implementation of the change would be helpful. If desired, a popup warning that things could go bad can added too.

@John Rushford is somewhat right in that trivial changes do need to be quick and easy. Even if you have to acknowledge a "Yes, I am absolutely sure I am not a total idiot, and got the change(s) correct" popup.

Perhaps adding a comment to the Jira ticket about a button to force the change live, and maybe a popup.
I had the same thought about the button. See NAS-122346