TrueNAS SCALE /etc/hosts file not persistent across reboots

Chin-Fah HEOH

Dabbler
Hi

Anyone encountered this issue?

I have just installed TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.0.1 (latest one as of last week) for the first time, and configurations went well. I set up 6 nodes of TrueNAS SCALE with a full /etc/hosts file which I edited with the vi editor. But the /etc/hosts file resets to default (empties all my entries) after every reboot. No real harm except being a hassle.

Planning a 2x3 Distributed Replicated volume and a 4+2 Dispersed volume for Gluster testing. The 6 node Gluster cluster is working fine so far, but haven't tested the volumes integration with the Gluster client on another laptop (probably testing with Fedora or Ubuntu).

Note: All these 6 nodes are running in Virtualbox VMs with 4GB of RAM each. My server has Intel i7 Gen 2, and limited RAM and that's all I can afford. Vbox version is 6.1.32 r149290.

Looking for answers and advice. Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You're not supposed to edit /etc/hosts directly, but via the middleware, using Network->Global Configuration->Other Settings->Host Name Database.

Host Name DatabaseAdditional hosts to append to /etc/hosts. Separate entries by pressing Enter. Use the format IP_address space hostname where multiple hostnames can be used if separated by a space. Hosts defined here are still accessible by name even when DNS is not available. See hosts for additional information.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
All these 6 nodes are running in Virtualbox VMs with 4GB of RAM each
Plan to have many ZFS and general stability issues. That's not enough to run ZFS alone, but with Gluster and anything else on top, forget it.

All that your testing will prove is that you get instability and bad results with that little RAM. Stop wasting your time on an invalid test, you won't learn anything useful.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Plan to have many ZFS and general stability issues. That's not enough to run ZFS alone, but with Gluster and anything else on top, forget it.

All that your testing will prove is that you get instability and bad results with that little RAM. Stop wasting your time on an invalid test, you won't learn anything useful.
Have to 2nd this. 16G would be the bare minimum you'd need to get anything approaching a valid test with Gluster, anything less and we'd expect there to be issues.

Chin-Fah HEOH

Dabbler
You're not supposed to edit /etc/hosts directly, but via the middleware, using Network->Global Configuration->Other Settings->Host Name Database.

Host Name DatabaseAdditional hosts to append to /etc/hosts. Separate entries by pressing Enter. Use the format IP_address space hostname where multiple hostnames can be used if separated by a space. Hosts defined here are still accessible by name even when DNS is not available. See hosts for additional information.
Thanks. I was following the Linux way.

Chin-Fah HEOH

Dabbler
Thanks. Don't plan to build anything super powerful, and just for knowledge sake.

Chin-Fah HEOH

Dabbler
Have to 2nd this. 16G would be the bare minimum you'd need to get anything approaching a valid test with Gluster, anything less and we'd expect there to be issues.
Thanks Kris. Really doing it for knowledge sake to advise a couple of resellers here about using Gluster. No plans to go beyond other than testing the work. Unless someone wants to sponsor some high spec server for me. ...

Arwen

MVP
Thanks Kris. Really doing it for knowledge sake to advise a couple of resellers here about using Gluster. No plans to go beyond other than testing the work. Unless someone wants to sponsor some high spec server for me. ...
Well, the problem of testing with that low of memory, is that if you get crashes or strange behavior, you may never know if it is the low memory or something else.

Chin-Fah HEOH

Dabbler
Well, the problem of testing with that low of memory, is that if you get crashes or strange behavior, you may never know if it is the low memory or something else.
Thanks. It is just a functionality test.

Arwen

MVP
Thanks. It is just a functionality test.
Then that makes more sense.

Good luck.

Oh, and one last comment. Both TrueNAS Core & SCALE are designed as appliances. While they may use standard kernels, (FreeBSD & Linux), as well as many stock / standard Unix tools, they are not designed for under the hood changes. Like using VI to edit "/etc/hosts", (as you found out).

So, if you need to add some custom code, implement it in a container of some sort, (docker or VM). Otherwise it may be lost during an update, (though rebooting to the prior boot environment may bring it back).

Plus, special boot time options need to be done in such a way that the middleware knows about it. (Either through the GUI or the middleware's command line, which is NOT a Unix shell.)

Last edited:

John Rushford

Dabbler
I just did a fresh install of TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.2. I was trying to update the hosts file on the machine for my needs. I went through the UI and added my entries to the hostname database through the Network global configurations. After saving my entries, I noticed the /etc/hosts did not reflect my additions unil after a reboot. You shouldn't have to reboot the machine to persist changes to the /etc/hosts. I'd call this a bug.

One of the reasons I added to the hosts database was to add my stratum one NTP server so that I could add it in to my TrueNAS. I was able to update the NTP servers list through the UI and after saving the addition, I saw that /etc/ntp.conf was updated and ntp was restarted after saving. No reboot was required, that's how it should be through the UI. Unfortunately, changes to the hostname database require a reboot.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You shouldn't have to reboot the machine to persist changes to the /etc/hosts. I'd call this a bug.

It could be seen either way. Since editing /etc/hosts has impacts all over the system, the only way to make the change globally is to reboot.

To use your case as an example, if you are adding or overriding a name that would normally be answered by DNS, how would ntpd know about the change in the hosts file? It would need to be restarted in many cases. This applies to many other cases where local names are used in exports or other ACL uses as well. While there are cases where a reboot isn't needed, the middleware cannot be aware of all of them, and its intent is to reliably achieve a particular given system state. Ambiguity is bad. I would say that the correct fix would be to force a reboot after hosts file changes.

John Rushford

Dabbler
It could be seen either way. Since editing /etc/hosts has impacts all over the system, the only way to make the change globally is to reboot.

To use your case as an example, if you are adding or overriding a name that would normally be answered by DNS, how would ntpd know about the change in the hosts file? It would need to be restarted in many cases. This applies to many other cases where local names are used in exports or other ACL uses as well. While there are cases where a reboot isn't needed, the middleware cannot be aware of all of them, and its intent is to reliably achieve a particular given system state. Ambiguity is bad. I would say that the correct fix would be to force a reboot after hosts file changes.
I don't buy that, rebooting to update the hosts file impacts the service it provides pretty dramatically. In my particular case, I have a small private network and if the NTP server were in DNS I wouldn't have needed to add it to /etc/hosts, I added to hosts so that I could add it by name to ntp.conf. That aside, I disagree with you. I think a reboot to update /etc/hosts is ridiculous, can you imagine as a systems administrator having to reboot each time you updated the hosts file on any machine? I could see it now, writing up tickets and scheduling downtime just to make a minor change to an entry in the hosts file, that's crazy.

sretalla