TrueNAS Scale - Cannot Login on GUI with Root

derec85

Dabbler
Hello,

I note there have been numerous posts raising this query. I have tried the suggested solutions but to no avail.

I have changed the password using option 7 when booting, several times. Although I can't see the characters when typing the password was changed.

I have attached a screenshot of my attempt.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance

Attachments

• IMG_4938.JPEG
    IMG_4938.JPEG
    341.7 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_4939.JPEG
    IMG_4939.JPEG
    337 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_4940.JPEG
    IMG_4940.JPEG
    308.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4941.JPEG
    IMG_4941.JPEG
    310.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4942.JPEG
    IMG_4942.JPEG
    267.4 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_4943.JPEG
    IMG_4943.JPEG
    128.7 KB · Views: 376

GBillR

Contributor
Hello,

I note there have been numerous posts raising this query. I have tried the suggested solutions but to no avail.

I have changed the password using option 7 when booting, several times. Although I can't see the characters when typing the password was changed.

I have attached a screenshot of my attempt.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance
1 - You posted in the incorrect forum for support with TruNAS Scale
2 - Why not just follow the instructions?

derec85

Dabbler
Hello again.

I’ve read through the instructions.

They provide for three options in the Web UI Authentication Method when installing Scale.

1. Administrator user
2. Root User
3. Configudre using Web UI

I don’t recall this window in the Installer, and have set a root password. I’ve changed this a few times, as shown in the screenshots to the original post.

The instructions refer to a rootless login, however as I didnt set up a admin username during installation I’m under the impression that this doesnt apply to me, and that I’m stuck with the root password option which remains problematic.

Is there a way for me to log in as admin user? If so what is the username and how would I change the password for this?

The instructions quote this:

“Note, the root user still exists but the password is disabled by default so that only the admin user can log into the system. To modify user credentials, go to Credentials > Local User, click anywhere on the user row, then click Edit.”

I’m reading this is something I can only do once I have logged in as a root user?

Thank you in advance of any advice.

GBillR

Contributor
Is there a way for me to log in as admin user? If so what is the username and how would I change the password for this?

I am sure there is a way using the shell or from the console menu.

Have you tried option 4?
The docs indicate this resets the admin user pw.

If that doesn't work, someone else will have to walk you through the CLI steps to enable the admin user and pw. But you may heve better luck on the Scale forum instead of this one.

derec85

Dabbler
Thank you for your reply.

I will give option 4 a go. If i can change the password, what is the username I would type in please?

I am sure there is a way using the shell or from the console menu.

Have you tried option 4?
The docs indicate this resets the admin user pw.

If that doesn't work, someone else will have to walk you through the CLI steps to enable the admin user and pw. But you may heve better luck on the Scale forum instead of this one.

GBillR

Contributor
I will give option 4 a go. If i can change the password, what is the username I would type in please?
I would assume admin.

derec85

Dabbler
I would assume admin.
I'm in! It allowed me to login using the admin username.
Should I create another username or will I be ok with admin? It's just going to be me here using the system.
Thanks again.