Truenas Scale and Zabbix

Hello all;

I've installed a zabbix server and want to monitor my truenas scale. So, I've added my truenas scale on my zabbix server using SNMP monitoring. My zabbix server is 6.0 LTS, and I can't see network traffic items (only response time, icmp loss). I would to monitor the network traffic to know if my network is a bottleneck in my infrastructure. The truenas template comes with the zabbix-server instalation, by snmp protocol.

Below, the network items from zabbix server
1666618461138.png

Many thanks!

Janus0006

Dabbler
Personally, i'm using the linux template. Does not give all information, but most of what I want. If someone find better solution/template, I'm open to new ideas

Basserra

Dabbler
Hey all. You can run the native linux package in TNScale. I'm currently troubleshooting GPU issues on my system, so no direct access to my script, but I'll come back and edit the post later. Link to posts with script & temp monitoring conf
I created a dataset for scripts and whatnot. Then put the deb repo from Zabbix in there, and a script. Real simple to RE-enable apt, install the repo, install the package, disable apt, link a custom conf file (for temp monitoring & custom address), restart service, profit. I setup the script to execute as a 'post-init' and all seems well. No custom template for me in Zabbix though, I just can't be arsed with all the other issues I have w/TNScale right now.

Last edited:

unixland

Dabbler
+1

I would like the zabbix agent to be installable on TrueNAS SCALE aswell, especially when it comes to CPU Temperature monitoring. At this moment it is not possible to dpkg the zabbix-release deb and/or apt update / apt install the zabbix-agent/2 package.

Please make this available, IX ! ^_^

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
SNMP and something like Observium or LibreNMS should do the trick without installing additional software. Also there's TrueCommand for free, although not open source.

unixland

Dabbler
Yeah, I am using snmp already, but with that I am not able to run specific commands like

Code:
sensors | tail -n 5 | head -n 4 | awk -F'[:+°]' '{avg+=$3}END{print avg/NR}'

like you can in the zabbix-agent package.

To have a wholesome solution like zabbix for your whole serverpark and then have to use some other package like observium just for one server is not workable imho.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
To have a wholesome solution like zabbix for your whole serverpark and then have to use some other package like observium just for one server is not workable imho.
Agreed. Can't Zabbix use a template that relies on SNMP exclusively instead of an agent?

unixland

Dabbler
As I said, I use snmp now for our truenas (scale) but this is the generic net-snmp template, which appearantly does not use or have the temperature oid's. That said, with snmp this might be different for every machine so it would be quite difficult to sort out which oid's you would need on a per machine basis. This is why the zabbix agents are much more comprehensive with regards to data gathering, and you can add commands to it (like the code above) which makes it much more versatile and easy to work with.